Not Sure If My Problem Is Amp Or Rear Speakers

svarog

Hello I have a 1995 ES300.

Situation: I put on some music and I hear it in the front speakers but not out of the back. Sometimes though I can move the knob for back front all the way to back, then move the volume to max and boom it will start working!

I tried thinking about it and can't figure out if my amp is breaking, or my speakers are dying or its a wire? Why would sometimes giving it max volume get it back to life?

What should I do to figure out and to fix.

This could be caused by oxidation in the fader control. They sell a spray cleaner that you might be able to spray inside this control. I would try this first since this would be the simplest and cheapest fix if it works.

The knobs on the dash, there are some for bass and treble and MID (not sure what that is) there is also one to fade to right and to left and from front to back, im talking about the knob for back/front, if i move that a lot and push volume on max sometimes back speaker works.

Those wires are melted on, how should I disconect them, is there a trick?

Do you mean they were soldered on? I've never seen wires that were soldered on when the car originally came from the factory. They usually have push-on connectors.

If you have to disconnect them, then you'll have to cut them, or de-solder them from the speaker terminals. Make sure you hook them up without reversing the leads otherwise the speakers will be out of phase. They'll work, but the sound will be compromised.

Insane! It says phillips on them not Mark Levinson, would this mean they are aftermarket?

Damn i'm stupid it was actually PIONEER!! I took pictures too

It should say Pioneer. Pioneer was the manufacturer of the sound system offered in the 95 ES.

Mark Levison is the top of the line sound system in the ES but was not offered until 2002.

steviej

First those wires don't look right ,their should be a plug on the speaker for a harness .

Also i am not sure the wires colours are right either but i have no clue anymore as i don;t have oem wire on my car.

They are not supposed to be soldered , i would guess someone changed them at some point in time.

If the back doesn't work right now try listeing to the rears on only. Now see which one will make slightly more noise than the other and which sounds more distored at the volume needed to play.

Cut one of the wires on the speaker which sounds bad, you can fix it later .If the other side returns to normal then it is that speaker. If not put it back together and try the other side. You only need to cut one of the wires not both.

If disconnecting either doesn;t help then it is either you amp or deck but from the looks of it it is one of your aftermarket speakers

btw Mark levinson was a really good company back in 95 until it got bought by the JBL/HK group but ML still makes chelo ,i think it is still around.

It still is one of the best high end companies around! The parent company is Harmon-Kardon International of which Mark Levinson operates as a separate entity.

Unfortunately, Mark Levinson Audio Systems—the company—was never able to achieve a stable business structure, and finally ceased to exist on October 15, 1984.......but they're coming back stronger then ever. ;)

Hello I have a 1995 ES300.

Situation: I put on some music and I hear it in the front speakers but not out of the back. Sometimes though I can move the knob for back front all the way to back, then move the volume to max and boom it will start working!

I tried thinking about it and can't figure out if my amp is breaking, or my speakers are dying or its a wire? Why would sometimes giving it max volume get it back to life?

What should I do to figure out and to fix.

If jiggling the fader control causes the speakers to start working, then you probably don't have a speaker problem.

I'd agree with the other poster who said you have an oxidized fader control. Get some spray and put it into the fader.

If that doesn't fix it, you're probably looking at a new head unit.

Good luck.