Heads Up Display 2023 ES 350

Hi Everyone! Got a few questions on this car that I got just this week on this topic. When I first got the car and started to configure some of the settings of the HUD, I was able to adjust the the position of the HUD. But since then, I cannot figure out how i did it. I’ve gone through all the settings and can’t find those settings again. And I just don’t remember how I was able to do it the first time. It’s like those settings disappeared. Can someone tell me where to find those settings? Also, does anyone know how to display the compass on the HUD? Right now, I can only see the lane tracking information. I saw on some videos that show the compass. Thanks in advanced 

1 hour ago, RX400h said:

Hopefully, it's in here:

Thanks for getting back to me on my questions. However, it does not show the exact steps to make those changes those changes. I’ve gone through the entire information menus from the controls on the steering column. I even just noticed I don’t see the control for the brightness too. It just seems like those settings are no longer there. And I did try to find them with the engine running. Very strange. Thanks again

You're welcome, Art.

The video includes mention of separate controls for the headsup display position. I had something similar in my 2001 Corvette. It was a separate buttom/switch. Do you not have something like this on the left side of your steering column?

Those settings magically appeared again 😀 The weird thing is that it was easy to find. I don’t know how I could have not seen them during all those times I was looked for it then. It must be a senior moment. Thanks for all your feedback RX400h!!!

I experienced a similar situation with the ES300h HUD. After setting it up, I decided to reduce the brightness of the display.  But I could not find it where it was suppose to be.  At a later date, I was browsing the menu and there it was.  Magic? Could be that it is only presented if something else somewhere else is also enabled.

Thanks for confirming that I’m not crazy Les. It was really hard to understand what I was seeing. I’m wondering whether some other configuration setting is making those or some other running condition is making those settings hide or appear As you also mentioned. But it is pretty interesting.

I'll play around with it again, Art.  Only thing I noticed other than that was that the RPM on the HUD would sometimes show that the engine was running, but the Hybrid screen showed that the engine was off while coasting to a light.  The HUD was not telling the truth. The engine was off. No big thing!

Thanks, Art.  It finally came to me.  I was using the paddle shifter to down shift coming to a red light. That causes the engine to rev. It's being forced to do so, but is getting no fuel or ignition. i.e. the engine really is technically OFF.  But, the HUD is computing RPM so of course it's going to display the actual RPM.  It IS telling the truth.  

I have since realized that using the paddle shifter is not only unnecessary, but it also wastes MPG.  Why? Because the braking is supposed to be used to charge the Li Ion battery, not dissipate the energy using the engine braking (unrecoverable energy). When the brake is applied lightly, the engine is bypassed and the transmission applies force to the brakes and the motor generator which puts the required drag on the wheels.

Using the paddle down shift, therefore cause less energy to be re-captured while stopping.

Dummy Me!

• 2 months later...

WE picked up ES 250 AWD about a month ago. The  monitor would do strange things. The apple car would sometimes  making calls didn't always work. work. The Lexus navigation would also sometimes work. You did not know when each would work. Each time we went back to the dealer and they reset things. But nothing stayed in place. Finally, yesterday, while driving the phone stopped working and the screen went blank. We took the car to the Lexus Service. We left the car running and they saw the blank screen. After a little while the called and said the monitor system would have to be replaced. Today,  Lexus called and said the part is on back order with the vendor and they will get back to us with an ETA. Luckily, we got a car to used. It was amazing at how many people tried to get the monitor to work. We suspected a problem from the start. This reminded me of a problem we had a number of years ago with a different brand. The driver's seat belt didn't fit right. That dealer accused of of not knowing how to put the seat belt on. Eventually they fixed the problem. Hopefully we have the only defective monitor.

Hi Alan, I hear what you are saying. The cars of today are built with much more electronics than ever before. This has created a lot of new problems in a car these days. All part of the growing pains of technology in cars. Glad to hear that all or most of your issues are resolved now.