Just Got A 2000

Tylermng

Hi All:

Just picked up a 2000 RX300 at a bank reposessed auction. The truck has 72K, every option and Waag grill guard and rear guard. The car is a little scratched up and only came with one key. The interior is spotless. We paid $15K. The car does have some issues. The rear main seal needs to be replace at a cost of about $500, which should take about a day for my mechanic to fix, and $700 to remove the scratches. We just had the oil changed and had the belts replaced. Everything else checked out.

I just have to say that this group is great. I followed the instructions on how to program the new key, and it worked great. Saved me $40 bucks at Ralley Motors in Glen Cove, NY which is probably the most expensive place on the planet.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Hi All:

Just picked up a 2000 RX300 at a bank reposessed auction. The truck has 72K, every option and Waag grill guard and rear guard. The car is a little scratched up and only came with one key. The interior is spotless. We paid $15K. The car does have some issues. The rear main seal needs to be replace at a cost of about $500, which should take about a day for my mechanic to fix, and $700 to remove the scratches. We just had the oil changed and had the belts replaced. Everything else checked out.

I just have to say that this group is great. I followed the instructions on how to program the new key, and it worked great. Saved me $40 bucks at Ralley Motors in Glen Cove, NY which is probably the most expensive place on the planet.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Congrats! Enjoy it! :cheers:

$15K? Nice going! Even with the "issues" you spoke about, you got a fantastic deal. They really are nice rides. Like you, I'm a fairly new owner who surfed this board for info BEFORE I bought. And, like you, I also bought a key and programmed it with instructions available on this board, thus saving me a bundle of cash. Did you get any maintanance history with it?

I only saw a recent inspection sticker. I didnt even get an owners manual, which by the way is available for free through the LEXUS web site. I didnt even get a key for the lug locks. I got one through Mcguard which is a top knotch company. I made an imprint of the lock faxed it over to them and had the lug lock key in 3 days for 10$ plus shipping. Im not worried about the maintenance though. Lexus seems to make cars that last 200K.

I only saw a recent inspection sticker. I didnt even get an owners manual, which by the way is available for free through the LEXUS web site. I didnt even get a key for the lug locks. I got one through Mcguard which is a top knotch company. I made an imprint of the lock faxed it over to them and had the lug lock key in 3 days for 10$ plus shipping. Im not worried about the maintenance though. Lexus seems to make cars that last 200K.

You and I think the same. Unfortunately, we're BOTH thinking wrong. As good as we both THINK Lexus' cars are, there are still issues to deal with like the aforementioned "sludge" problems. Also, some folks seem to have tranny probs, too. I bought a certified car and thought (because of the certification) that I wouldn't have to worry about mechanical problems except routine maintanance things. Wrong. Five weeks later, my RX is in the shop getting (essentially) a new engine installed. Keep a close watch on your oil dipstick for excessive oil usage. If you notice after a couple thousand miles that you're a quart or two low, and you're not smoking or leaking, take it to a dealer and have them check for gelling or sludging of oil. It's not a worry for you anyway, since Toyota and Lexus will take care of the problem up to eight years after manufacture. All in all, they ARE great vehicles, but it just goes to show that nobody (not even Lexus) is perfect. ;)

Another thing to consider is this: You bought a REPO. If the former owners couldn't even afford to make the payments, you've gotta wonder if they had the spare cash laying around to have the regular maintenance performed. Take your car to the nearest Lexus or Toyota dealer and they should be able to run your VIN and print you out a maintenance history of items performed at their shops since the vehicle was first purchased. If it doesn't look like regular maintanance stuff was done, you probably should have ALL fluids and belts changed at the very minimum.

I own a 2000 RX300 Pearl color that has been mostly trouble free. I take it in for service every 5000 miles. Recently I had a problem with the Check Engine light coming on but hopefully that has been resolved. I also own a 1999 GS300 but I prefer driving the RX300. Good Luck with your purchase.....