Do I Want a new RX350h Hybrid?

slabman

My car was totaled so now I'd like to consider a new RX350h hybrid.  The Lexus dealer claims they don't sell very many of them so am wondering why?  Is it simply availability or are buyers looking for other technology?  A puzzled buyer here....

This may be because of the state you are in. Many people think that all hybrids need to be plugged in. Consumer Reports magazine recommends hybrids as the best choice for consumers who want great fuel mileage and far better range than most EVs, without the range anxiety during cold weather or when towing.

The new RX350h AWD gets 37 MPG City, 34 Highway, and 36 combined. (Average range = 619 miles)
The RX350 gets 21 MPG City, 28 Highway, and 24 combined. (Average range = 427 miles)
So the hybrid RX gets 50% better average fuel economy, That's significant.

Our RX Hybrid is almost 18 years old and it has never given us any problems. Newer RX hybrids have excellent reliability ratings, also.

Thanks for sharing, Dave.  I understand the older models with the v-6 engine has a great track record.  MY concern is this new model now has a new 2.4L engine which is going to make more noise and sans electric boost, will likely be a slower performing car.  It's going to feel and sound different than your V-6...will it bug me?  And yes...the mileage IS fantastic!

• 5 months later...

I bought a 2013 rx350h about two weeks ago. It's a wonderful car.  Comfortable, quiet (except the ICE is a bit noisy during acceleration), great ride.  It's my first hybrid and my first Lexus, so my report is based on a very short acquaintance (less than 400 miles so far).

The dealer (and every other dealer in a 200 mile radius) had NO rx350h models available.  I had to pay a deposit and get in line.  I WAS able to get the color and trim I wanted (nori green pearl, premium trim) from a neighboring dealers allocation, and I had to wait about a month.  The RX is the most popular Lexus model ever.  The Hybrid models seem to be in the highest demand.

The engine is a bit noisy.  Growls a bit when you put your foot in it.  The acceleration is ok, to me.  The 350h is exclusively AWD.  The rear wheels are driven my an electric motor, no driveshaft.  The instant torque of that motor boosts the ICE acceleration quite well.  It won't win any races, but it's MUCH quicker than a Toyota Highlander with the 2.4l turbo, which I drove by way of comparison.

Again, this car and hybrids in general are both very new to me.  I love it so far.  Happy to answer any specific questions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought my RX350h back in March.  Now with almost 8,000 miles I can say I absolutely love this car.  Quiet, responsive and hitting the advertised MPG of 34-35 highway and 36-37 around town.  Favorite feature is the adaptative cruise control with driver assist and traffic jam assist.  The car virtually drives itself and does it very well on the highway.  They were, back in March extremely hard to find, hence the possible low sales.  I live in PA but ended finding and buying mine in Manhattan.

• Like 1