Serpentine Belt Tensioner Problem, Please Help!

tsarang

Hi all,

I have a 96 LS400, the serpentine belt was making wierd noises so i had it changed, still the noise wouldnt go. The other option was to change the tensioner, after getting ridiculous quotes i decided to do this myself. I bought the part, and tried to replace the tensioner by

a) removing the belt.

B) removing the screws on the tensioner.

the tensioner doesnt seem to come off the engine. I dont know what other steps are required to remove it.

while i was releaving the tension to remove the belt, the revolving pulley on the tensioner broke, so i cannot replace the belt and take it to a mechanic . I am pretty much stuck here, any help from you gurus out there will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and god bless.

According to the 93 Shop Manual, the belt tensioner is removed by removing a bolt and two nuts and simply removing the tensioner. There is also a note that says the bolt that holds the pulley on the tensioner in place is a left hand thread, you torque to the right to remove the bolt. Sorry, that's all the info in the shop manual regarding removal of the tensioner.

obergc is right, this is how i removed mine, but i was removing all other parts around as well since i was changing the timing belt so it went without any problems.

nah, in my case it was one of the timing belt pulleys and it was whining because of the bad bearing. but to get to it i had to remove all the parts in front of the engine and aux belt was one of them.

• 6 years later...

I got a 98 and just finished changing mine. The problem is that the black plastic cover has one bolt just below the tensioner, and need to remove the cam cover and push that plastic of that cover to get it in. After that is just a snap. They also modified the part so you cannot replace just the pulley, have to replace the whole thing. I think they went to use one just like the LS 430 and it seems lighter, hopefully will be as durable as mine.

C. Cardona

nah, in my case it was one of the timing belt pulleys and it was whining because of the bad bearing. but to get to it i had to remove all the parts in front of the engine and aux belt was one of them.

• 1 year later...

OK I am new one here and I am having big problems with my drive belt tension-er. When i look at the one on my car it doesn't look anything like the one I get when I replace it. I need to get this tension-er replaced. people say its just three bolts but the one on my car has like 4 or 5 and there is a big bracket on it that the alternator goes thru as well. It looks to be part of the timing cover. Is it OK if i remove this and replace it im not sure if there is oil directly behind this cover or if it will be OK for me to remove, and or is it hooked up behind there by anything with the timing belt itself.

Thank you in advance if you have any advice to give.