Tranny Fluid Change...

Okay,

I am about to attempt to change the tranny fluid in my 1994 ES300. I have read all the threads but I still have a question. The car has 100K on it and from the looks of the fluid, I think it might still be original. What type of transmission fluid .....BRAND / WEIGHT / and should I also opt for a new drain plug?

-Brian

1st check your tranny dipstick and see what it reccomends. If T-2 or T-4 stick with the Toyota Type-IV. If Dex-2 or Dex-4, your pretty open to any Dex-4 fluid you like. I've been using Redline Synthetic in my tranny for the last few drain and fills.

Why would you change out the drain plug? Is it stripped? I might change out the gasket though.

what ever you do, DO NOT have the auto- or machine flush done if in fact the fluid is original.

The fluids today are much better manufactured and can dislodge any sediment that may be holding back leaks. This sediment can also be dislodged by the force of the flush of these machines thus causing clogs in the lines and tranny itself.

A suggestion would be to do the drain and fill technigue in your driveway. Do this over the course of several months. Drain the tranny from the plug, add 3-4 quarts back in and drive normally for 1000 miles. Repeat this process every 1000 miles or so for 4 times. This way the old tranny fluid is gradually replace with new.

(It will cost you $20 and an hour of your time each time you do it).

At some point you may consider dropping the tranny pan to clean out any sediment, clean the magnets and clear/clean the but re-usable metal mesh filter.

That will require a tranny pan gasket replacement too.

steviej

Well, I changed the transmission fluid and I took everyone's advice. I drove myself to Peruzzi Toyota and purchased four quarts of the Toyota ATF. Came home, pulled the plug and what came out looked pretty gross, yuk! Once I put the plug back in, I only had to add three quarts back. I thought that it took 3.50 - 3.75? Help on this one.

Oh, I also took a really good look at my coolant and realized that it should not be dark and cloudy......yuk! Now, the car drives even better after the fluid change. Here's another question. Toyota makes their own "Toyota Oil" Should I use it? Any ideas?

Brian

buying toyota oil is a waste since they don;t even use it but buy oil in bulk for oil changes.

btw mst machince actually don;t use any force but rather use the trannyitself to push and pull its own fluid in and out the lines