High Rpm?

I just got my SC300 last thursday night and had to drive it home (about 120 miles :D ) and I notice that when the cruse control was set to about 70ish the tach was reading a little of 4 grand. Just wondering if this is normal for this car?

Seemed a little high but I'm used to a five speed with tall gears. (my geo)

I have a 92 Sc300 with an automatic tranny.

Didn't quite catch it, but are you driving a 5sp or an Automatic? 5Speed sounds right, on the Auto it should be a little bit less since there's overdrive.

i have a 5spd 300 and that sounds about right to me, not exactly sure so ill check, but i just remeber i thought the same thing for a while, (used to high redline of hondas) but its normal

Thanks for the info. I do have the auto and my O/D is on. I looked up the final drive of the auto....with 4.27:1 it sounds about right.

Just to let you know I went from driving a 91 geo metro to my sc300 so it's going to take a little getting used to. :blink:

gogo,

It sounds like your OD is off! Inspired by your post, I took my sc300 out and took note of the RPM w/ OD ON & OD OFF.

This is the listing w/ OD OFF:

40 mph ~ 2200 rpm

50 mph ~ 2750 rpm

60 mph ~ 3250 rpm

70 mph ~ 3750 rpm

w/ OD ON

40 mph ~ 1500 rpm

50 mph ~ 2000 rpm

60 mph ~ 2250 rpm

65 mph ~ 2500 rpm

70 mph ~ 2750 rpm

80 mph ~ 3000 rpm

My car is a 96 w/ auto and the rims & tires are the proper size. I get great mileage as well, usually 28 MPG highway (75-80mph)

and city somewhere around 23-24mpg.

If the light is on in the dash, the OD is OFF. You might want to check your OD button as well. Mine was broke when I purchased my car but w/ OD ON. It is an easy fix!

I also did something similar, except i tried to take it to 4000 in 4th gear just to se how fast i was going. After I hit 90 (and still under 4000) mi thought i should slow down. Moral of the story: 4000 RPM's is very high for 70mph.

Strange I know that my o/d is on...when i push the button the o/d off light turns on and I can feel the car lose a gear. I have accidently done this on the freeway and the rpm's shot up. :chairshot: I still get about 25mpg freeway driving. My 92 only has a 3 speed w/ O/D right? Also could my tach just suck? I know that they can be inaccurate at times.

gogo,

how large are your wheels and tires? This could have a slight bearing. Can you hear your engine at all? If you rev it in N or P, does the tach move according to the engine sound? Also, is your speedometer accurate? Whenever I have driven these cars, the difference between 60mph and 90mph does not really feel that much different! They stay butter smooth at high speeds!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you all....

If I had a five speed I would be very worried but I have an automatic. My tires and wheels are stock dimentions so don't think that's the problem. But the more I drive my car the more I'm starting to think that the tach just isn't very accurate. When I'm crusing around and let off the gas my rpms dorp by about 700. My engine is still running and it's not a drop due to a shift. I can feel the car go through all it's gears. I think that my speedo is right, when I set my cruse control I'm not flying by anyone. My car seems to idle at about 1050 or so. I have a good friend who's a cop and he's going to check out a radar gun and help me out :D .

I may just get an aftermarket tach. Anyone have one that isn't the size of a coffee can and can post some pic's of where you put it?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to post an update.....Well my tach just sucks. I was crusin' algon about 45 and decided to floor it. The car shifted down and (if my tach went that high) hit about 9 grand :blink: . So a (dim) light went on in my head and I thought to my self well that solves that problem. Who really needs a tach when you driving an auto anyway.