Transmission Fluid Change

rwallican

I just started last week with an oil change to drain and add 2 qts of type IV ; bought a case at a Toyota dealer so in 18,000mi I will have 12 fresh qts in[ was $3.95/qt.] Note I do know that I will be draining some of the new-don't go there.

But if the existing fluid looks extremely dark or smells burnt--suggest to change all !!!

You don't have to change your Transmission fluid unless it's absolutely needed.

The manufacturer recommends that you flush it, since the transmission is an essential item. It sounds like a good idea to me. :)

hey, i pan drained my tranny a few days ago. i read numorous postings stating that a pan drain will be about 2 quarts...i got more like 3 because my front tires were on ramps. somebody told me to just add 2 quarts anyways...so i did that but when i checked my dip stick (norm. op. temperature and at idle) it was still below the line. so i slowly added a few ounces at a time to get it right in the middle of the HOT part of the dip stick. i ended up adding a full quart so im at 3 quarts for my pan drain. when my motor is off and cold (mornings) the atf fluid is actually in the 'hot' zone. am i doing something wrong here? any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks.

hey, i pan drained my tranny a few days ago. i read numorous postings stating that a pan drain will be about 2 quarts...i got more like 3 because my front tires were on ramps. somebody told me to just add 2 quarts anyways...so i did that but when i checked my dip stick (norm. op. temperature and at idle) it was still below the line. so i slowly added a few ounces at a time to get it right in the middle of the HOT part of the dip stick. i ended up adding a full quart so im at 3 quarts for my pan drain. when my motor is off and cold (mornings) the atf fluid is actually in the 'hot' zone. am i doing something wrong here? any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks.