Car Pulses While Braking?

hey everybody i have a 93 gs300 and every time i hit the brake my car starts to pulse...what can it be??what things should i check??its really starting to get on my nerves..have you had this same problem???well imma cut this short...thanks for checking out my post

i had the same problem in my honda only when i braked it shook at lower speeds it was a bubble in the tire....might want to check that...I couldn't see the bubble at all i replaced the tire in disbelief and it fixed the problem

oh and if anything they didn't true the rotors... on my hubby's truck we had the brakes done the guy said we had to have the rotors shaved I said why there new, he said if we didn't the vehicle would shake when braking..hope some of this helps

oh and if anything they didn't true the rotors... on my hubby's truck we had the brakes done the guy said we had to have the rotors shaved I said why there new, he said if we didn't the vehicle would shake when braking..hope some of this helps

do you belive everything people tell you?

you have to have them lathed ?

like saying you have to wash your car when it rains, it make no sense to be redundent.

If the rotors aren;t true in the first place why the hell did you buy them. btw what vehicle does your husband drive?

then they were so bad they damaged the wheel bearings or the sliders on the brake calipers are frozen

yea thats probally it...im going to midas just for a free beake inspection so they can tell me whats wroung then ill just take it home and fix it myself....thanks for the input everybody

my husband drives a 1998 chevy 1 ton it's a heavy duty, has a special oil cooling system. I had the breaks done once with out them being turned and it did vibrate after they were done, where it didn't before. This time we had them done and had them turned the problems is gone. I might believe every thing i'm told as long as when your shoveling it, it makes sense or is so beyond my understand I couldn't argue if I tried

new rotors should never need lathing used ones on a brake job should be to make sure of it being true but it is always better to replace them if more than 3mm is taken off as tehy will rewarp again even faster.

If you get a vibration after a brake job with the rotors not nbeing replaced or turned it is probably a slider bolt on a caliper bolt not regreased or a mechanic who used a gun to put the nuts on instead of properly with a torque wrench to evenly disperse the load

My 98 GS300 also pulsates while braking. Usually at 55+ MPH. Any not all the time....which really confuses me.

I put new ceramic brake pads on, greased the caliper bolts, and had the rotars turned about .02 inches each (not much).

Still vibrates when braking.

Oh yeah, tires are new, Yokohama's (handle very well) :-)

My old car, a 88 Chev beretta (hahaha) had 225K miles on it and never vibrated while braking, this is the first car I have owned that does...and it seems a lot of GS owners have this problem.

If the brakes pulsate-replace the rotors.

If the brakes squeal-replace the rotors.

Along with the pads. Grinding down the face of the rotor is like putting stop-leak in your radiator. Temporary at best. We all drive a very heavy vehicle, and it takes its toll on the rotors.

Going to Midas is like going to Wal Mart. I'll never forget taking my company truck to a Midas years ago for a brake job, and found the confused "Mechanic" reading a manual while trying to change the brakes. And they squealed like crazy when he was done.

Tex,

Not to argue, but many people who have posted on the Lexus forums have replaced Rotors at $225 (parts only) a piece only to discover the brakes still vibrate.

Turning a rotar a few hundredths of an inch "trues" the rotar. Also, when the rotar is being turned you can watch and see if the rotar is really warped....in my case none of the 4 rotars were warped, the turing simply made them very smooth again.

My hunch is that there is a common problem in a tie-rod, or stablizer fitting that shimmieds upon braking, and it seems very common to GS300's.

I love my car, but you should not have to replace expensive things like Rotars on a Luxury car every 75K miles....heck, the stock brake pads alone last to about 50-60K.

I have a 93 GS300 which also is shaking(surging) only when breaking.

Getting new tires tomorrow, and an alignment and front-end checkup from Toyota on Monday. Hope the problem can get fixed by that. <_<

If I am right, the 93 GS300 comes with Goodyear Eagle GA's with a "V" speed rating from the factory.

That is what I am planning on putting back on, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what tires are good on this car.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having the same vibration problem with GS300 brakes since I've owned my '94 (bought it in '00 with only 49K on it). It's most annoying. I don't even drive it hard, so there's no real reason to have ANY brake problems in a car like this. Am now preparing to replace the front rotors again, after probably 60,000 mi.

Anyway, I've owned four MR2s in the 14 years before getting this car, and I NEVER had warping problems in any of those fun cars. And I drove them hard, as they were an absolute blast to drive.

Am now going to try cross-drilled and slotted rotors, as I'm guessing that it's a cooling problem that is warping them. The only "hard" driving I do with them is coming down off-ramps at a relatively high rate, but I'm still babying the car otherwise. Have read elsewhere that sitting with brakes applied at a light after such braking can keep too much heat on that portion of the rotor while stopped; sounds good enough to me after all these hassles!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this same prob. and i also have brembos drilled and slotted w/ceramics and still shakes like crazy.Its really making me mad I have this great car which I have spent a ton of money customizing and when I take someone for a ride and touch the brakes its makes it look like a peice of :censored: I have a 98 gs4 and my buddy had a 1st gen 300 and had the same prob. Could this be a part and problem they carried from the 1st gen to the 2nd? Does anyone know what they carried over that could cause this.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this same prob w/ my 98 gs4 and it has drilled n slotted brembos w/ceramics.My buddys 1st gen had the same prob. and it wasnt the brakes Im guessing it could be a bad part carried over from the first gen to the sceond.Regardless ive got an appt. at the dealer Fri. to figure this out and im not leavin till its fixed so ill let you all now what i find.

• 1 year later...

I realize this thread is old, but I am having this problem and I've been searching and found no solution, this is the closest thread to my problem. Whats happening is when I use the brakes, if I'm going over 60ish, the steering wheel shakes dramitically. It doesnt happen at low speeds. A few weeks back I had my right rear pad replaced and the rotor turned. I dont know how much they turned it, the reason I had the pad replaced and the rotor turned was because of the squeaking I had. This wasnt a normal squeak, lol, this squeak only occured when the brake wasnt pressed, haha. Turned out there was no pad left on the right rear pad. ANYWAY, back to the problem, do yall think its a warped rotor and I should change it? I dont really wanna spend anymore money on brakes right now, changing the pad cost me 160 bucks, and I plan on replacing all the rotors and pads in March, should I just do it early? Let me know what you guys think,

Jacob

I realize this thread is old, but I am having this problem and I've been searching and found no solution, this is the closest thread to my problem. Whats happening is when I use the brakes, if I'm going over 60ish, the steering wheel shakes dramitically. It doesnt happen at low speeds. A few weeks back I had my right rear pad replaced and the rotor turned. I dont know how much they turned it, the reason I had the pad replaced and the rotor turned was because of the squeaking I had. This wasnt a normal squeak, lol, this squeak only occured when the brake wasnt pressed, haha. Turned out there was no pad left on the right rear pad. ANYWAY, back to the problem, do yall think its a warped rotor and I should change it? I dont really wanna spend anymore money on brakes right now, changing the pad cost me 160 bucks, and I plan on replacing all the rotors and pads in March, should I just do it early? Let me know what you guys think,

Jacob

If ones warped, The rest are probably as well. Replace all pads, rotors and brake fluid as well. use synthetic, I'm sure it's black and has never been changed. You can do this yourself, no need to pay someone $160 for it. <_< Paint your calipers while you're in there and clean up everything with a heavy duty cleaner. I've also found the aristo strut bar, ebay, helps a little with minor shaking while braking.

To all of you with shaking problem:

1. Check your front suspention for any worn parts like: ball joints(lower&upper)

2. Check all bushings(metal/rubber)

Whatever you find as loozzzz, replace a.s.a.p

Than DO your aligement

AND AS LAST CHECK BALANCE ON YOUR FRONT WHEELS, AT LEAST!!!!! YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO IT IN TWO TIRE SHOPS, CUZ SOME OF THEM ARE DOING THAT 2 FAST WASTING YOUR MONEY. KEEP YOUR EYE ON TECHNICIAN (IF YOU CAN) OR JUST ASK ABOUT RESULTS OR PRINT OUT IF AVALIBLE

MY$0.02