Lexus 300es

Hi everybody!

I am new to this forum and already have a question.

I am thinking about purchasing Lexus LS 300 ES. It is 1996 model with 52000 miles on it. Looks and drives great. Asking price is $10.000.

So can you tell me what you all think and what do I need to watch for (oil sludge problems, transmission, suspension)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mine is a '96 and it has 144k miles on it, and I paid 7k for it, and it runs like new. For 10k and it only has 52k miles, I'd either check if its had an odometer roll back somehow (since its a digital display odometer) or buy that puppy if you think its in good shape....

14 Months ago I traded in my 1994 ES(I was the original owner), with 53,000 miles for my present '03. They allowed me $8000. for the trade in. It was resold by Lexus for $10,000 within 1 week. The car was immaculate. This will give you some idea of prices. I think the price of the car you're contemplating seems very good......if it was as good as mine. ;)

I got a 96 2 years ago with 52,000 miles (paid $15 or $16K). Now has 79,000. Lexus tells me what needs to be done and their cost when I have an oil change. Can you get an idea what repairs or routine maintenance might be needed because maintenance and repairs on this car tend to be more costly than "regular" cars.

That said, I'm very pleased with mine. Looks and runs great.

Ed

Ive been scouring my local listings for a good deal and yours sounds pretty good. Miles are still relatively low for a Lexus, I know people like to take them up to 250k sometimes. Just as long as it is well maintained you should enjoy it alot.

The 2005 ES330 will have a few subtle changes:

*redesigned tail lights and fog lights

*new front grille (just a bit larger than the '04)

*audio controls on steering wheel

*passenger seat memory

*new exterior and interior colors

all of this and only a 0.8% price increase

Sounds like a good deal, very rare find. I would have it checked out by your local Lexus/Toyota shop for any needed repairs, and also run it by a body shop to see if has had any major work done. The body shops can usually tell if the whole side or end has been replaced or repainted due to collision- one thing to notice are the little stickers with the vin# on each inside panel. This will notify you of original parts.

I've owned a 97 ES300 about 4+ years. Bought it at 38K now with 118K. Previously, I owned 6 Camry's. Still have 2 of them. I had a 96 ES250 for about 2 months. Gave it back to the local dealer when it red-lighted on an 'oil' issue...twice!

I've had a tremendous amount of problems with my 97 ES300. But I attribute this to the local dealership :-(. They can't seem to do anything right. They even quoted me a $4500 charge on a transmission 'job' that didn't need to be done [local Toyota dealership said it wasn't necessary]. That said, IF you purchase the ES make sure your local Toyota dealership can work on it. I have an excellent relationship with my Toyota dealership [who let's me talk with the mechanic] and one that's terrible with the Lexus dealership [who doesn't let me talk to the mechanic]. [The local dealership sold my ES300 to me as 'certified' but did not disclose to me at the time of the sale that the trunk had been repainted. Now, 'out of certified warranty', they claim that neither they nor Lexus can help. Arg :-( Where's responsibility here?!?] I now own a two-toned ES300!

I wouldn't buy any 'certified' Lexus. If it's built good, you don't need to pay more $ just for someone to call it 'certified' without doing anything. [Yes, they do check the lights and turn signals to see if they work.]

Bottomline is this: Lexus rides nice but make sure you have a 'friend' [non-Lexus dealership] to whom you can take the vehicle when you need help. I've had a lot of problems with my ES300 but I'm still open to purchasing another one but NOT at the local dealership. I'll go 2 hours out of town first! ES's are essentially 'beefed-up' Camry's but they're a little more $ to repair than a Camry or Avalon.

Hope this helps and you don't think I'm "ranting".....

Cheers!