Other Cars Considered With Ls430?

MikeP

Just wondering what other cars you considered/test drove when you were in the process of purchasing your LS430. What, in particular, caused you to choose the Lexus.....value, reliability, resale value, quality, dealer, etc.?

Mike

I just bought an 01 LS430 with 50k miles.

The only other car I considered was an 02 Q45. The market discounts the Q pretty severely compared to the Lex so, depending on the miles, you can get into a newer Q for a lot less. In fact, I paid about $7k more for the 01 LS430 than I could have gotten the '02 Q45 for and the Q had fewer miles.

These two cars are very similar in ride and features. I think the LS is definitely overall a better car, but I'm not sure it's seven thousand dollars better. Still, I've had two previous Q45s and have never had the Lex so I wanted a change.

Good luck,

JPF

I was considering the new BMW 545I and the MB E500.

The BMW exterior was a bit more stylish but the interior cabin and ignorant dealership personnel turned me off. The MB was close but after looking at consumer reports and talking to some very disappointed MB owners, the car's mechanical troubles sent me away.

John

As I compiled my "short list", the LS430 was at the top for several reasons...I had previous experience with the dealer service, I wanted dependabilty, comfort and high resale value. Also on my list was the Q45 and E320. I didn't include BMW, even though in the past I loved driving the ones I owned, because of the new styling direction and the high prices. After doing research on prices for the E320, I saw that with the options I wanted, it would be close or equal to the same price as the LS430. Also the latest JD Power reliability ratings for MB scared me off.

I did test drive a Q45 and was impressed, but my preference is for a more traditional interior like the LS430 and I thought the interior materials in the LS appeared to be of better quality. I also thought the suspension in the LS absorbed ruts and potholes better, but also cornered flatter and had a more refined ride. I also noted that the resale value on the Q45 is not great.

Before test driving the LS, I thought my Jaguar rode well. After my LS test drive, I was ready to junk it. The suspension in my S-Type causes the car to float and the front end to bob up & down. I drove the LS over some roads I routinely drive and I was amazed at how, what seemed like large bumps in my Jaguar, these bumps were hardly felt in the LS.

The LS430 seems a lot more "European" in feel than I remember my LS400 being. I can't imagine any other car, regardless of price, being so well engineered. I want one BAD.

Mike