Brake Pads (not Fully Covering The Rotor)

I had the rear brakes done at Crappy tires (should have heeded the warnings here).

Anyway after a few days, I realized that the pads only keep 60-70 of the rotor shinny...whereas in the front brakes (done at lexus) has full 99% coverage of the rotor surface area. Is this normal?

I know they used macpherson brake pads. Will this degrade performance/causing troubles like rotor damage? Should I complain and bring them a set of genuine pads?

Any advice is appreciated.

ham

the area covered on the rear rotors is definately less than on the front rotors.

here is a picture of the OEM pad area coverage on stock rear rotors on a 2002 ES.

Caliper_Painting001.sized.jpg

I hope that helps.

The only thing I would watch for is the amount of noise the new pads may make. Metallic or semi-metallic may squeal louder than OEM pads upon very slight pressure on the pedal.

steviej

did they turn or resirface the old rotors?

it depends if you changed your brake fluid the pads may not be seating properly

>did they turn or resirface the old rotors?

Yes.

>it depends if you changed your brake fluid the pads may not be seating properly

I don't think that is the case because at least the shinny area is the same on both rear sides.

Here is the pic. I am just worried that it is not covering enough of the rotor.

Anybody with 2nd gen tell me what the rotor area coverage is for their car?

Picture%20003.jpg

it looks to me like you have camry rear rotors which are a smaller outer diamter which causes the pads to run off the end of the rotor and sometimes squeel

those look old for rotors as well as not oem lexus as they don;t rust only the brake dust siting on the paint rusts but can be wiped away from the coating.

it looks to me like you have camry rear rotors which are a smaller outer diamter which causes the pads to run off the end of the rotor and sometimes squeel

those look old for rotors as well as not oem lexus as they don;t rust only the brake dust siting on the paint rusts but can be wiped away from the coating.

>it looks to me like you have camry rear rotors which are a smaller outer >diamter which causes the pads to run off the end of the rotor and sometimes >squeel

I think you solved the puzzle, the reason I brought the brakes in the first place was because of the annoying squeel. Even after the brake job, I had a minor squeel but I was able to get rid of it by applying a bit of Mcguires's metal polish on the parts that I thought may be rubbing (rotor edges).

I guess the previous owners just used camry parts.

>those look old for rotors as well as not oem lexus as they don;t rust only the >brake dust siting on the paint rusts but can be wiped away from the coating.

Thanks for your help. I am just going to ride these out and buy oem's when I do the brakes in a year or so.

i still have my stock rear ones which i could sell you cheap and install if wanted as you are local

I will take you up on your offer next summer if it is still available...or until I get sick of the brakes...but having spent 300$ on the brakes don't want to dish out anymore. I wish I knew about your offer before I got my repair at Crappies...but I was new to lexus then and did not even know about this site.

I am in Toronto about half the year.

ham

You are going to start squeeling again and it will get louer as the pads are new and it is offfset. The problem becomes that the pads will not wear on the outerpad this will cause the pads to wear faster and make quite a racket as well as uneven wear on the rotors, but who cares about those as they need to be trashed anyway.

$50 for the pair