Air Cond Problem *help*

kamiveone

1990 ls 400, i am 2nd owner..all records, i mean ALL records in place. took car to my friend, 15 yr toyota tech...when you put on a/c it is warm air, he tried to recharge system, compressor would not turn on....inside light would flash...could not "jump" the compressor on..would not take any freon in....any clues? compressor is "tight"...help please

My son's 91 LS400: IF the outside temp is hot, when he turns on the A/C the light blinks. But, when he just turns on the fan on Hi (ie not the A/C) for a while and then turns on the A/C (ie press the A/C button), the air is cool !!! :blink:

Good Evening,

The flashing light is an error indicator.

Check the compressor clutch connections (power and the ground), first.

There are procedures in the factory repair manual to enter diagnostic mode and read the codes in the climate control system. This will save you a lot of time.

Good Luck :D

It flashes whenever something is wrong with the circuit. It's likely not to flash since you have a failed evaporator, not a break in the circuit. THat's why kamiveone light is flashing.

You should consider replacing the evaporator.

My AC light flashes also and it makes a really bad sound. I took it in, and they said it was a bad compressor. But the expense to get it fixed was pretty high for me, like over a grand. What is a good price for this and is there any ways I can bring down the price (buy the part ahead of time etc....?)

I';ve got a 90 ls400 and from what I read in here, this is all pretty common.

My situation is a leak at the EPR ( pressure regulator ). I have noticed a slight whine by the compressor and think that I am headed for the same failure.

I will replace the compressor (New 600, Remanu 299+shipping, DIY refurb kit est~100),

the pressure regulator (New 120)

the drier/receiver (new 124)

3 lbs of R12 & Oil ( about 100 )

O ring kit (new 10)

So overall I would say that price is great if they use a new compressor and do a good leak test and fill with freon.

Now for a remanufactured part it gets to be a call that requires closer scrutiny. What are the labor rates and standard labor time for compressor removal. What else will they replace?(if anything?) Will hey let you buy the parts? Some shops won't or they wont warranty the same way.

BTW, in 98 at Lexus of Austin Texas the did all of the above plus hoses for $2000.

• 2 weeks later...
compressor whining is just bad bearings, not the compressor itself.

I have a 1996 LS400 with 108,000 miles.

What's the difference between "just bad bearings and not the compressor itself" ?

Just this morning I heard some tapping which goes away when I turn off the air conditioner. From past experience with Suburbans, that has meant that my compressor would soon need to be replaced. My a/c light has not yet come on, and it cools very well. I'm, of course, dreading the expense of replacing the compressor.

It flashes whenever something is wrong with the circuit.  It's likely not to flash since you have a failed evaporator, not a break in the circuit.  THat's why kamiveone light is flashing.

You should consider replacing the evaporator.

Thanks. How difficult is it to replace (evaporator) and about how much does it cost? Will it require new Freon? Just wondering, because sometimes it stays in there. WHat exactly does the evaporator do anyway? Thanks again.

The evaporator is located under the dash inside the car. The vehicle's heating-cooling system fan blows air through the evaporator. The refrigerant inside the evaporator is a liquid. As the air blows through it, the air is cooled. The process of cooling the air flow changes the refrigerant from a liquid to a gas. It then moves through the air conditioning plumbing to the condensor located next to the radiator at the front of the car. The gaseous refrigerant is cooled by the air flow through the condensor and changes back to a liquid.

Replacing an evaporator is not a do-it-yourself job. Special knowledge and equipment is necessary. The system would have to have its refrigerant evacuated for the evaporator to be replaced. The system would then need to be leak tested before it is recharged.

Don't know the cost of an evaporator. Check www.irontoad.com or www.lexus-parts.com.

The evaporator is located under the dash inside the car.  The vehicle's heating-cooling system fan blows air through the evaporator.  The refrigerant inside the evaporator is a liquid.  As the air blows through it, the air is cooled.  The process of cooling the air flow changes the refrigerant from a liquid to a gas.  It then moves through the air conditioning plumbing to the condensor located next to the radiator at the front of the car.  The gaseous refrigerant is cooled by the air flow through the condensor and changes back to a liquid.

Replacing an evaporator is not a do-it-yourself job.  Special knowledge and equipment is necessary.  The system would have to have its refrigerant evacuated for the evaporator to be replaced.  The system would then need to be leak tested before it is recharged. 

Don't know the cost of an evaporator.  Check www.irontoad.com or www.lexus-parts.com.

Thanks. What all is involved in removing the evaporator? Does any of the instrument panel have to be removed? If so, what all has to be removed? How common is it for the evaporator to go bad out these cars? Thanks again.