04 Rx330- Canadian Or Japanese Built

mspenny

I just bought a 2004 RX330 today. Then I read that RX330 were being built in Ontario Canada.

In the lot, I saw lexus SUV that says 95 % Japanese and 5% Canada/U. S.

Would this be considered built in Japan?

If it was Canadian built, what percent would it be?

How can I tell if mine is Japanese or Canadian built.

Thanks and lst time on this forum

How can I tell if mine is Japanese or Canadian built?

I do not have the answer for you, but I do think it appears

in the VIN number. One of the parts of the VIN number

identiifies the origin of the vehicle, at least for the ones I have.

It could be either. I know mine was built in Japan as some option combinations (Sports suspension) with others are still only built in Japan. A place to check is of course the sticker. It list the assemby factory location

The RX is either 100% built in Japan or Ontario (Cambridge, Ontario) not small pieces. What does the door jamb sticker say exactly? I'm thinking from what has been mentioned here that yours is a Japan built unit. It really dosen't matter actually.......the RX is the first of ANY Lexus vehicle to be built outside of Japan, and there is good reason why it went to the Cambridge plant.......the place has won so many awards for quality that they area running out of wall space to put them all! :lol: They build the Corolla, Matrix & Solara models there (not 100% sure about the Solara convertable however). B)

:cheers:

I live in Canada and I am told that only the base RX330 and the luxury package (sunroof) are built in Japan.

The remaining models (higher end RX330) are built in Japan.

The Ontario plant was Lexus first platn outside of Japan and it is a well documented JP Powers award winner for quality.

Non-union.

The plant also makes some Toyota cars.

Canadian article from last year:

Whew! All this, and I've still managed to save the best bit for last -- the RX 330 is set to be built at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada (TMMC) in Cambridge, Ont., making it the first Lexus ever to be built outside of Japan. The models you're seeing in showrooms now were built at Lexus's Kyushu plant, but come September, production moves to the little plant that could. This award-winning manufacturing facility has been updated with separate weld and assembly facilities, and a brand-new 300,000-sq.-ft. paint shop dedicated exclusively to Lexus. By the time production begins, there will be more than three million sq. ft. under one roof. The Lexus move represents a $650 million investment and the creation of 700 new jobs. The plant will be able to produce 60,000 units of the RX 330, an important criteria given that the marque accounts for about 40% of Lexus's total sales.

The base RX330 is still built in Japan.

Toyota to use 90% locally procured parts in Canada-built Lexus

Consistent with company policy, Toyota will use 90% locally procured parts when it starts building the Lexus RX330 SUV at its Canada plant (Cambridge, Ontario) this fall. It will be the first time Toyota has ever built a Lexus model outside Japan. Toyota chose its Canadian plant as the production site because the skilled workers there and the suppliers in the area meet Toyota's requirements. Nikkan Jidosha Shimbun (automotive trade paper) March 5, page 1

This would be intresting to be sure.......The Cambridge plant has won so many awards I've lost count lol :lol: The plant also builds the Corolla, Matrix, & I think even the Solara Convertable. I'd bet money the Canadian plant has fewer problems per 100 vehicles then the Japan plant! ;) B) :whistles:

:cheers: