Strange Marks On Paint Finish

Hey detail gurus - I've noticed a strange discoloration / cloudy markings on my hood paint finish. I could swear that this has only appeared over the last 4-6 weeks. About three months ago, I did a detail on my paint: Klasse All in One / Klasse Sealant / Paste Wax. I didn't notice anything at the time, but several weeks later, I went to wash again and decided to try out my new P21 polish and then wax again. At this point, I noticed these strange cloudy areas on the hood. At first glance, it just looks like concentrated dirt buildup or like severe water spotting (I don't have a garage for my RX 300). But even after the polish, it didn't come off. I might also have thought that it looked like the paint had almost worn away, but I swear that I've only noticed this recently. And the rest of the paint is in good condition, not great, but good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys for your responses. I haven't used anything from Mr. Clean. I have always used the Meguiars car wash solution. And no, there were no "running water" streaks. It actually looks like the same pattern that sponge painting a wall might look like - like a cloud in several senses of the word.

Steve, I'll try your alcohol solution. I'm assuming there's no danger in damaging the paint that way? Also, while I have your attention, I remember that you didn't care much for the Klasse products. What was your recommendation for a good sealant that I could put on top of P21 polish, but before a carnauba paste wax?

Also, you have given a mixture before of vinegar and water (I think) for eliminating water spots. If this is correct, what was the ratio for that mixture?

Thanks to all.

what you have is oxidation on your hood.

the only way to remove it is with a high speed buffer ie....porter cable has a nice one, and use a slight cutting pad or wool pad........i had that oxidation on my hood as well, and couldn't get them out,,,,

that is until i used the PC and some compound cleaner, buffed right out. followed with a polish and sealant.............good as new

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I’m not trying to take away from Silvermate’s advice but a wool-buffing pad in the hands of an inexperienced user might cause you grief.

Always use the least aggressive product first, evaluate the surface, then only if necessary ‘step-up’ to a more abrasive product.

Try a solvent type cleaner (Klasse AIO or P21S Paint Cleaner0 or water/distilled white vinegar or a 5:1 Isopropyl Alcohol solution before you ‘step-up’ to something more abrasive.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

I’m not trying to take away from Silvermate’s advice but a wool-buffing pad in the hands of an inexperienced user might cause you grief.

Always use the least aggressive product first, evaluate the surface, then only if necessary ‘step-up’ to a more abrasive product.

Try a solvent type cleaner (Klasse AIO or P21S Paint Cleaner0 or water/distilled white vinegar or a 5:1 Isopropyl Alcohol solution before you ‘step-up’ to something more abrasive.

you are absolutely right!!! :D

great advice

Actually Klasse AIO is an excellent oxidation remover and works well by hand.

Ditto the advice against a wool pad, wool pads are way too aggressive. A foam cutting pad on a PC is all you need.

Also, you have given a mixture before of vinegar and water (I think) for eliminating water spots. If this is correct, what was the ratio for that mixture?

You can even use straight vinegar as long as you wash the car down afterwards.

Steve, I'll try your alcohol solution. I'm assuming there's no danger in damaging the paint that way? Also, while I have your attention, I remember that you didn't care much for the Klasse products. What was your recommendation for a good sealant that I could put on top of P21 polish, but before a carnauba paste wax?

Nope you're safe with the 50/50 IPA/water. That will remove any wax or sealant on the paint though, but won't hurt the paint. No, I'm not a fan of Klasse. Shine is too sterile for me and application too hard. Actually if you've used Klasse over the P21S polish that may be your problem. The P21S polish is full of oils and the Klasse needs the paint to be oil free to bond properly. You may be experiencing the Klasse failing to bond. A sealant like Poorboys EX or EX-P will bond much better over your P21S polish.

• 2 weeks later...

I just used a 70/30 IPA/Water (that's the ratio in the bottle :P ) and it worked well. I'm curious the application method you guys recommend. I just dabbed it on a cloth and went to town. I did notice that as I went that if I went back and redid an area, that it was much more effective than the first. I wonder if using a spray bottle and letting the areas soak a bit would be optimal.

I assume there's no harm in not following up the alcohol with anything if using it as a quick detailer? (I know it removed the wax, etc.) I would think the alcohol evaporates away pretty quick...

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this string is still active, but I wanted to follow up. I did try a solution of ISP Alcohol and water, but it did nothing. Not even in the slightest. I'm concerned which direction to turn now. I'm also wondering if the private dealer from whom I bought the car covered the hood paint with something temporary to conceal the problem. Either way, what should I do now? I have used the P21 polish over this "build up" or oxidation or whatever it is, but doesn't phase it. Should I try something stronger? What would be next step up?

Also, if I should seek out professional help, how could I locate a reputable detailer here in Miami? Would a body shop be worth checking out?

Frustrated.

~One mans opinion / observations~

It would seem to me that Silvermate’s analysis is correct-oxidation it starts as a chemical reaction that causes the paint film surface to overheat, dry out and oxidize, it can appear as a dull and somewhat hazy, or `chalky' appearance to the paint surface.

These can usually be removed by using a machine polish to level the surface. (Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polish) and reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

This is why we ask for a photograph, its far easier to analysis a problem by seeing it as opposed to guessing by from a worded description (plus we like to see photos of your car LOL)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Guys - thanks for the continued advice.

TOGWT, I think you nailed the description - it is a dull, hazy and chalky looking patch, but it's all over the hood. I already have the Klasse AIO. I will try that product this weekend to see if I can remove spots. TOGWT, you recommended two other products that I haven't heard of - the Iz Einzett products. Where could I find those online?

Quote: TOGWT, you recommended two other products that I haven't heard of - the Iz Einzett products. Where could I find those online?

~One mans opinion / observations~

Sorry for the delay in answering but we had some ‘girl’ problems, named Jeanne -Florida the [sunshine] plywood State

You can purchase Iz products from Autopia.org

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon