Xm Radio-confusion

I have followed other threads on this and other forums concerning the availability of XM Radio for the ES 330. From what I understand the head units in the Lexus Ls and Toyota Solara and Prius models are the exact same. If that is true then why has no one been able to have the Lexus or Toyota kits installed in their ES's yet? My own dealer says that the kit for the LS will not work in my ES, but give me no explanation as to why it will not. Are the head units indeed the same? If so, then is there anyone out there who knows of documentation that states this unequivivally? Last, has anyone had their dealer install the XM kit in their ES 330? Thanks in advance for any response.

The ES and Solara have the same head unit, the Prius is different. I've been told by installers that the kit WILL work and I'm working on setting up an installer here as a trader so he can discuss it with members.

The dealer won't install it though.

Steve,

That would be super. Hope you can gtet someone to come on soon. Yes, I know, my dealer acts like I am a Martian for even suggesting that they do a little checking on their end to see if the kit will work. Guess it must be asking them to do too much work . . . or something. Will be watching for someone to clear up this fog a bit.

Hi, this is my first post. (I don't own a Lexus, I work on them)

Just today I installed XM radio into an ES330 using a kit for a LS430.

I had both wiring diagrams in front of me, double checking wires in the kit against the LS430 diagram and then finding the same wires in the ES330 diagram. Every wire going to the XM unit has to be used. It took some time but it works fine. (The ES330 was equipped with NAV and Mark Levinson)

Dealers in my area (Northeast) are doing this. :D

That is fantastic news. Am going to copy your post and bring it to my dealer. Now, after this if they still have a problem I may ask you to forward the name of your dealership along with contact info IE, phone number, etc. so someone from my dealership's service department can speak to someone from your service department. Many thanks once again.

Update . . . Spoke to the service mgr. at my local dealere a few minutes ago advising him of what I have learned regarding XM radio installation. He advised that he would do some checking on his own. This is a positive sign at least for prior being able to advise them of anything I had heard I was advised it could not be done period. Will keep you all abreast of what I hear. etc. Keep your collective fingers crossed . . . Oh yes, if you could would you please forward the name of your dealership, location and phone number. It too might help.

The service manager should be able to talk to the dealer rep about this.

My service manager found out by the rep mentioning it to him. But, be advised it's not something Lexus likes to do. (they rather install XM with a kit for the spcified vehicle).

Why I was asked to do it, I'm not sure.

I called my Lexus dealer service mgr about this yesterday. He called back today after talking to the factory rep. The 430 unit can be made to work, but voids the warranty on the NAV/ML head unit. A unit specifically for the ES330 NAV/ML head is to be made available to dealers in late August, per the factory rep. My dealer is scheduled to contact me when available. I will call him in Sept if I haven't heard by then. Sounds like we may get XM after all.

Have not heard anything from my service mgr. Glad to see that someone else has persued this matter with their dealereship. Obviously did not know that by using the kit designed for the LS on the ES would make nav system warranty void. Glad to hear that kit made specifically for the ES 330 will be available. Let's hope it is in August. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks too for checking with your service mgr.

My Service Mgr. called today. As Secondlex's svc. mgr. told him mine told me they could do it, but the warranty on the nav/ML would be void . . . my choice. Well, I have waited for awhile now so a few more weeks/months are worth the wait. would hate like hell to have the warranty voided just because I was impatient. . . not worth it. Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to respond. When I can get XM installed I will send a follow-up msg. regarding the installation, price and how well it seems to be working.

Steve, I agree, it does not make any sense, but after speaking to my service mgr. I wonder if it is indeed true as he basically stated what Secondlex advised in his post. They too would do it, but would do so only if I knew that by their doing so the waranty on the nav unit and ML would be void. Even if that is not true, I am not willing to make the gamble. Do not need a potential long lasting dispute, if by waiting till the one designed for ES, is available which of course, will mean, that warranty issues and/or questions about it being perhaps voided will not be an issue. I love my ES, best car I have ever owned, but Lexus dealerships can be bothersome at times. I wish they would all be reading from the proverbial same sheet of music. OH well . . . !

• 1 month later...

I promised I would get back to the forum when I heard any news and I did today. Unfortunately, it is not what I wanted to hear. I spoke to the service mgrs. and parts mgrs. in two local Lexus dealerships asking about the availability of the XM kit for the ES 330 and was advised that according to the info they had it was not going to be available for the 2004, but would be for the 05. I then called Lexus customer support and was further advised that it not only was not available for the 04, but that the kit, which is not available yet, for the 05 could not be retro-fitted to the 04. This is most disheartening. I have learned a valuable lesson, no way will I believe what I am told prior to the purchase of a new car. I was assured that at some point the kit for ES would be abailable and for those of you who own a 04 with navigation the button "sat" is on the control panel, ready and supposedly waiting. So, I hope someone can shead a more positive light on this subject. I cannot believe how uninformed some of these folks are, seemingly all having different info, etc. Waiting to hear from someone with perhaps good news that will make mine false. Mike

Again though, that doesn't make any sense. There are no changes to the audio system on the 05 330 nor to the nav except for the inclusion of voice activation, which you could ALSO retorfit to your 04! The "05 ES kit" should plug right into your 04 just like the LS430 kit, but it will probably also void the warranty...

Damn! Thats got to be so frustrating :blink::blink:

Hokyfan, Great news. A few questions if I might so that I can approach my local dealership with as much ammunition as I can. First, which kit did they install? Kit for the ES 330 or the one for the LS 430? What was the cost, parts and labor? Lastly, do you have a phone number, including area code for Keyes Lexus of Van Nuys? Any additional info will be helpful. By the way, how is it all working? Thanks so much. Mike

Called Keyes Lexus, spoke to Parts Dept. Mgr. and got the proper part no. for the XM kit for the ES 330. Part No. 86100 OW 100. Called my dealer and ordered same. Part expected to be in around Tues.-Wed. time frame. Once in I will schedulte installation. Will keep you all posted as to progress. Mike

Called Keyes Lexus, spoke to Parts Dept. Mgr. and got the proper part no. for the XM kit for the ES 330. Part No. 86100 OW 100. Called my dealer and ordered same. Part expected to be in around Tues.-Wed. time frame. Once in I will schedulte installation. Will keep you all posted as to progress. Mike

How much did the kit cost you?

The Lex dealer at this location:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=37

has the part available for shipment at price of $488 per the web site.

No indication of installation charges. I have not used the site for order, but it is an authorized dealer in Dallas, TX.

Sewell Lexus has great prices and super fast shipping. Have bought from them on a couple of ocassions. Local dealer is charging $536 for the part and $185 for installation. Again, will let everyone know about how it goes after installation. Oh yes, the part no. should be 86100-0W100. Mike

The part arrived Tuesday. However, the price I origionally quoted is incorrect, the actual price is $488.00 plus installation. By the way, this is the same price that Sewell Lexus in Texas is selling the kit for. Installation is scheduled for Tues., Aug. 24. Again, will let everyone know how it went and how XM sounds. Mike