I'm new here, so if this is a forbidden topic, please advise.

After reading a recent Barron's review of the new 2023 Lexus RX 500h F Sport Performance AWD I had to grimace at the story's line "Occupants are coddled with heated and ventilated front seats". My 2020 RX450H has the same seats, and they are uncomfortable for trips of any length. Very little cush, like sitting on a thinly padded board. The seats in a previously owned 2010 Camry LE provided a plush, comfortable, experience compared to the 450.

Also, since the story was a review, let me add that the 'lane departure alert with steering assist' leaves much to be desired.  It fails to stay reasonably centered (excessive left-to-right wandering) within a lane and occasionally completely ignores lane striping (leaves the lane).  The problem may be a result of existing technology.  I sometimes use it in light traffic when traveling.

I'm just wondering if others are uncomfortable with the seats, or if the points on my tushy have become too sharp for extended travel.

Toyman

My 14 Camry XLE seats "seemed" about the same as my 20 RX 350, but that's a bit subjective, so not meant to contradict your experience.

Toyman, I have learned to drive with the Lane Assist function instead of Lane Departure Assist, at least in the 22 ES300h. It does only mild steering assistant to warn the driver of drift.  If you ignore the tug, it will drift out of lane. IF you use your turn signal, it will not try to gently pull you back because it knows what your are trying to do. I don't remember using LA in my 20 RX, so I just can't say how it worked.

Lane Departure Assist, LDA is used to allow the vehicle to steer the vehicle by itself,  but NOT with your hands off the steering wheel for more than so many seconds, after which time it sends a warning to put your hands on the steering wheel.  And if you ignore the warning, it beeps and disconnects the function.  In other works, it kicks out the autopilot, and you better take action quickly.

So why use LDA if LA is a more gentle guide and will not sound a warning and disconnect.

Finally, LDA seems to have improved from 20 to 22 versions, but one might still get pulled over for suspicion of DUI if you don't keep your hands firmly on the steering wheel.  So why use it?  LA can make me a safer driver.  So I leave it on now.  Just took a little time to get used to.

Les,

Thanks for the heads-up on the two systems.  Honestly, I'm still trying to understand all of the bells/whistles that have evolved in vehicles over the recent years.

The Lane Departure Assist (LDA) is the one I'm uncomfortable using - your observation about DUI was spot on.

I'll get the manual out to assure understanding of the difference between LDA & LA.

Thanks, Toyman!  Lexus put your manual up for download so you can search by keywords in their PDF.  You can save it on the cloud and use it for ref. Their search engine can search phrases also.

https://www.lexus.com/drivers/resources?#personalized_settings

Pull down the [Manuals and Guides] tab. and pick your vehicle. All your manuals can be downloaded and saved.

I downloaded the manual when the vehicle was delivered.  Just now went through it to get a better understanding of "Steering Assist"(SA) which is a sub-category of "Lane Tracking Assist" (LTA).  The terms Lane Departure Assist and Lane Assist aren't shown in my manual.

It looks like when LTA is active, SA is too.  SA seems to be the 'lane wandering' culprit in my case.  I've used the custom sensitivity settings for SA & Lane Centering function, but other than reducing the abruptness of changing the position in lane, doesn't prevent the wander.

Thanks for your comments.