Door Lock Actuator Ls400 92

MarkLS400

:unsure:

Hello,

My 92 LS 400 door lock actuator stopped working on the driver's side front door. I replaced a rear unit a while back (not easy, difficult to access) but after contacting Lexus for part info. it appears that the front units are different, and about double in price (~$200). The factory repair book is vague on this repair too.

Does anyone have experience in replacing this front lock actuator or fixing a broken unit? This part is the unit that locks/unlocks the door lock when the push button is pressed, or the remote button is pressed.

Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry I don't have help for you, but I do have a couple questions. The rear passenger door lock in my 94 has stopped working. I don't know how to tell whether it's the actuator that's gone. When I press the unlock or lock button on my driver's controls, the lock mechanism attempts to move, but seems to not have enough power to push the lock all the way into position. I assume this would be the actuator. My question is was it easy for you to replace and would it be possible for you to let me know where you got the part and how you installed it?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Mark,

Sorry I don't have help for you, but I do have a couple questions.  The rear passenger door lock in my 94 has stopped working.  I don't know how to tell whether it's the actuator that's gone.  When I press the unlock or lock button on my driver's controls, the lock mechanism attempts to move, but seems to not have enough power to push the lock all the way into position.  I assume this would be the actuator.  My question is was it easy for you to replace and would it be possible for you to let me know where you got the part and how you installed it?

Thanks.

It sounds like the problem is the door lock actuator. At least that is exactly what my car did when the actuator failed. Please review the factory service book before proceeding.

The removal and replacement requires carefully removing the door trim (check reference to find placement of fasteners first or else you may damage the trim), some door hardware and the door handle. There are 3 or 4 (it's been a while since I did the job) nuts holding the actuator in place. These are very difficult to access b/c you have to place your hand inside the door cavity, which you can only do through the sevice openings. The door handle must be removed so you can access one of the actuator nuts. There's a wiring harness connector that's a little tricky to disconnect. There is also the door lock connecting rod which has to be disconnected/reconnected.

Once the new actuator is in place just reverse the steps and take your time. I found that the hardest part was replacing the nuts; they were very hard to line up on the bolts. This could be do the size of my hands in the small confined area. Here's a tip. Before you remove the door handle you should place tape, like electrical tape, all around the door handle area on the door proper to avoid scratching the door finish. When you are re-installing the handle the handle moves around quite a bit and could easily scratch the paint.

Re: cost, the rear unit replacement came with the car I bought. I have searched for a new front one but it seems that only the dealer has this item. Expect to pay about $100 or more.

Mark

• 5 months later...