Two Brake Lights Out

WaterB3007

I have a japanese spec toyota celsior which is basically the lexus ls400! It is a 1992, I am having a problem with the two brake lights next to the trunk not working but the third brake light in the window is working. I have checked all the fuses since everything in the car is wrote in japanese but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the relay is located and if there is a brake light control module? anything that could help me out would be greatly appreciated! THANKS

I have a japanese spec toyota celsior which is basically the lexus ls400! It is a 1992, I am having a problem with the two brake lights next to the trunk not working but the third brake light in the window is working. I have checked all the fuses since everything in the car is wrote in japanese but I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the relay is located and if there is a brake light control module? anything that could help me out would be greatly appreciated! THANKS

Could be the wiring in the trunk hinge, There are a few threads on this great site that cover the issue.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

I randomly picked the diagrams for the Celsior B Specification sold in Japan -- maybe you can identify the parts you are looking for: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_J_1992_TOYO...10-AEPGK_4.html

Choose another spec level if yours is different.

My understanding is that the rear light systems of Celsiors are typically modified to meet local requirements when imported into the U.K. -- for example to change the light modules on the boot lid to function as rear fog lights. If your car has been so modified, you may have to trace the wires to determine their functions.

Have you checked for corrosion in the bulb sockets yet?

If they are not getting a good contact, they will not work.

If they are clean, get a test light and see if you are getting power to the sockets. If you are getting power to the middle brake light you should be getting power to the outer brake lights.

Jerry

well I wanted to make sure that it wasn't the bulbs so I took both bulbs out of the cover and hit the brakes and once again the third brake light came on but the other two didn't when I turned on the headlights both of the bulbs lit up showing me that they weren't blown. everything on the car is wrote in japanese so I have no clue on what else to look for! it just doesn't make any since on how all three lights are working fine one day and then the next all are out except the third brake light! so to a certain extent it sounds like a relay but then again I don't/can't find a wiring diagram for it.

well I wanted to make sure that it wasn't the bulbs so I took both bulbs out of the cover and hit the brakes and once again the third brake light came on but the other two didn't when I turned on the headlights both of the bulbs lit up showing me that they weren't blown. everything on the car is wrote in japanese so I have no clue on what else to look for! it just doesn't make any since on how all three lights are working fine one day and then the next all are out except the third brake light! so to a certain extent it sounds like a relay but then again I don't/can't find a wiring diagram for it.

When you performed this test all you did was to test the taillight circuit, not the brake lights. You should be able to simply see if the brake light bulb filament is intact, it is the thicker of the two filaments, (or in your case the one that doesn't light up! :rolleyes: ). If in doubt you can use an ohmmeter and check for continuity in the bulb. Check each soldered tip on the bulb, one is for tail lights, the other is for brakes. Place one probe on the tip and the other on the metal base. If the bulbs are good then using a voltmeter check for voltage at the bulb socket. Place the red probe on one of the two tips you see in the socket and the other to ground. Here again one tip is for the tail light circuiut and the other is the elulsive brake circuit. If you don't find any voltage, then start working backwards to see where the disconnect is. I don't suspect you'll find this is anything major, just calls for a little electrical sleuthing! Let us know what you find out.

I have the same model but 1994 year, look at the boot hinge wiring as suggested as this causes many problems,where abouts are you in the UK/ as I am also on the UK forum

Hi WaterB3007,

I have a 1992 LS400 and had the same problem - running lights working, but brake light on right hand not working. If your stoplight fuse is good, then you probably should try a known good bulb in the socket first to see if that works. If not, then you may have one of the following three problems:

1. Circuitry in your Light Failure Sensor - mine was melted and I just soldered it back very carefully so as to not mess up the rest of the circuitry, or

2. The Brake light socket - heat from the bulbs had melted a part of the brake bulb socket base causing a short circuit (my stop light fuse kept blowing), or

3. The wiring in the left hinge of the trunk lid may have a broken ground wire (white with black stripe) - this is the ground wire for some of the lights in the rear end.

In my case I first had some taillights and all brake lights out. Thinking the Light Failure Sensor was bad, I disconnected it and checked it out - sure enough it had a break in the circuit where heat had melted some of the soldered connections. After fixing this, all the lights except the brake lights worked. When I stepped on the brake pedal, the stop light fuse would blow. I ruled out the stop light switch by disconnecting the LFS, and stepping on the brake and the fuse did not blow. Anyway, to summarize, I simply bypassed the LFS, and ran the 12v from the #9 and #10 pins in the connector to the #1, #2, and #6 pins to check the circuitry. If there is no continuity to ground ( broken white with black stripe wire) the brake lights will not light up! In my case, I used a simple rig with a wire and fuse to jump the connections and kept blowing the fuse (2 amp) on connection to #2 (the right hand brake lamp) indicating a short in the circuitry. I took the lamp apart and looked carefully at the socket and found that the base of the connector was sort of melted.

In your case, you may have a similar situation, but without the short.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi WaterB3007,

I have a 1992 LS400 and had the same problem - running lights working, but brake light on right hand not working. If your stoplight fuse is good, then you probably should try a known good bulb in the socket first to see if that works. If not, then you may have one of the following three problems:

1. Circuitry in your Light Failure Sensor - mine was melted and I just soldered it back very carefully so as to not mess up the rest of the circuitry, or

2. The Brake light socket - heat from the bulbs had melted a part of the brake bulb socket base causing a short circuit (my stop light fuse kept blowing), or

3. The wiring in the left hinge of the trunk lid may have a broken ground wire (white with black stripe) - this is the ground wire for some of the lights in the rear end.

In my case I first had some taillights and all brake lights out. Thinking the Light Failure Sensor was bad, I disconnected it and checked it out - sure enough it had a break in the circuit where heat had melted some of the soldered connections. After fixing this, all the lights except the brake lights worked. When I stepped on the brake pedal, the stop light fuse would blow. I ruled out the stop light switch by disconnecting the LFS, and stepping on the brake and the fuse did not blow. Anyway, to summarize, I simply bypassed the LFS, and ran the 12v from the #9 and #10 pins in the connector to the #1, #2, and #6 pins to check the circuitry. If there is no continuity to ground ( broken white with black stripe wire) the brake lights will not light up! In my case, I used a simple rig with a wire and fuse to jump the connections and kept blowing the fuse (2 amp) on connection to #2 (the right hand brake lamp) indicating a short in the circuitry. I took the lamp apart and looked carefully at the socket and found that the base of the connector was sort of melted.

In your case, you may have a similar situation, but without the short.

Hope this helps a bit.

I had a problem with my 1994 LS 400 left brake lights. I replaced the bulbs and they worked fine for a day or two. I had my son pump the pedal as I checked the bulb socket wiring. I discovered the wiring was "crushed" and after straightening the wiring to the socket, it's worked ever since.

Larry W,

Here is a tip if you don't have son handy and want to test brake lights - get a piece of pipe or pole about 22" long and a small 3" square piece of flat wood. Move the seat back so you have enough space to work there. Now put one end of the pipe against the brake pedal and the other against the bottom of the driver seat (use the 3" square of wood to protect the plastic seat bottom). Now use the switch to move the seat forward to depress the brake - works like a charm B) Just be careful not to go crazy with the seat switch - only need to depress the brake pedal about 3" to 4".

Figured this out since my son was too cranky to help - just kidding, he's too young to reach the pedal!!!

:D