2007 Lexus Ls460l

Click on THIS to see what CanadianDriver.com thinks of the 2007 Lexus LS460L.

That's a nice review; reaction in the states has not been universally as enthusiastic as this one.

AND take note of the price of the top 'o the line model. YIKES!!

After the conversion that's about 10 grand more than the car costs in the US; but do they have VAT in Canada? With all the taxes and tags that car probably pushes the USD 100k in most US markets.

It's a sobering reminder of how much more cars like this can cost elsewhere; I believe I saw somewhere that an LS430 was selling in Ireland for about 103,000 Euro....ouch.

Makes one wonder just how much that LS600HL is going to cost.

Honestly I don't think the hybrid will cost that much more; I think Lexus is wary of crossing the 100k mark. Now if they made that V12 Hybrid that Motortrend was talking about a few years back all bets are off. :)

Its all dependent on your frame of reference. I've found her reviews to be much more favorable to a easy riding high quality car. The magazines we have here are all devotees to hard riding german sport sedans. I've not driven the LS460, but I have always thought the LS handled well for what it was, and wouldn't trade ride quality for crisper handling.

I mean, its a 4500lb car...how well does one expect it to handle?

I have always thought the LS handled well for what it was, and wouldn't trade ride quality for crisper handling.
The thing about the LS is that sometimes it achieves seemingly impossible combinations; a pliant but firm ride that is not floaty; free of harshness but good control-- competence without attitude. Some may say that's a car lacking personality; but its personality is probably more subtle than some people realize or can appreciate. I think that many reviewers are looking for an angle; and with not much to complain about they have to pick something to rag on.

:chairshot:

I mean, its a 4500lb car...how well does one expect it to handle?
I think it handles quite well; some cars 1/2 its size feel less secure. I haven't driven the A8 which is supposedly the car to beat in this class, (or the ABC equipped S550 which won the Car & Driver comparo), but I can't really say that the 750i or the S550 w/airmatic handle dramatically better than the LS460; and they don't ride as well either. I still don't remember any of the excessive body roll reported by C&D; and I doubt most people who buy these cars will drive them hard enough to notice.

These reviews; especially the comparison tests; are a numbers game. Numbers don't really tell the whole story; but numbers are what they can prove. The BMW and Audi may score faster slalom times; but there is no number for the irritation you get when you drive over railroad tracks and your fillings shake--and that's something all drivers will notice. SW is right--to get much better handling the ride would be rock hard; and that's not what this car is about.

Whatever...there's a car out there for everyone. The LS is for me. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

When i test drove it at Taste of Lexus i thought it handled quite nicely. And I drove it like a maniac. There were even some speed bumps at the end of the test. The LS glided over them.

The BMW 7 felt fanstastic( seriously you've got to drive it to know what I'm talking about.) But was much rougher on those speed bumps.

If reliability weren't an issue... as much as i love the ls... i'd take the BMW.

Oh and all those gizmo's! I love it.

I think that BMW would get me into much more trouble (with the law) though. Even a huge car like that begs to be driven. THe LS does not.

Oh just to tell you how confident the 7 felt.. it felt happier in the bends than the is350! No joke.

I really hate all magazine comparo's. they are stupid.

I really want to see that bose suspension make it on the 09 ls460. Then BMW won't be better at anything. Lexus would trounce everything!

Sorry guys, i talk like i have ADD.

The BMW 7 felt fanstastic( seriously you've got to drive it to know what I'm talking about.) But was much rougher on those speed bumps.

If reliability weren't an issue... as much as i love the ls... i'd take the BMW.

Oh and all those gizmo's! I love it.

I found the BMW feels more connected to the road; but as far as body roll; power and braking I didn't think it really was that much better than the LS. The BMWs with their lower gearing and telepathic steering tempt you to drive them hard; they almost dare you. The LS460 is not so blatant but can really hold it's own when pushed. With less feedback from the steering you have to trust the car more and that makes some people (myself included) a little more hesitant to push it hard.

I'm curious to drive the Touring model with the bigger brakes/tires and sport Air suspension. Watch out BMW!

All those gizmos drove me nuts when I wanted to turn on the radio. i almost crashed into the car in front of me!!