Seat Belt Won't Retract

jwlane

Well is finally happened. The drivers seat belt won't retract. I've searched the local salvage yards but everone I found that wasn't broke didn't retract very well so I broke down and purchased a new one. They're only available in gray and blue. The tan has been discontinued. I thought I would have to accept the gray one for my tan interior Until I removed the broken unit.

If anyone would like a picture of how to put your seat belt in the new retracter just send me your e-mail address.

The tan has been discontinued. I thought I would have to accept the gray one for my tan interior Until I removed the broken unit.
Hmmm.... where did you look? I just bought one online (passenger side though) from Carson Toyota, albeit for a 95.

LINK

I'll post pics later.

you should have asked on the forum before you went and purchased a new seat belt. you can replace the motor and keep the original.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/fcourtesy.html

this is the Url for the tutorial for removing the front courtesy switch but in replacing that you have to remove the motor and there are step by step instructions. just replace the motor and all should be fine

you should have asked on the forum before you went and purchased a new seat belt. you can replace the motor and keep the original.

Trust me, I searched here before purchasing. The 95 doesn't use a motor for retraction, it uses a tension spring.

I saw THIS thread giving instructions on how to retension the spring but I opted to buy a new one regardless.

Here are some pics I took during the process:

post-13297-1230687975_thumb.jpg

post-13297-1230688015_thumb.jpg

post-13297-1230688037_thumb.jpg

post-13297-1230688047_thumb.jpg

post-13297-1230688056_thumb.jpg

post-13297-1230688074_thumb.jpg

post-13297-1230688086_thumb.jpg

Trust me, I searched here before purchasing. The 95 doesn't use a motor for retraction, it uses a tension spring.

I saw THIS thread giving instructions on how to retension the spring but I opted to buy a new one regardless.

How do I add pics?

Thanks

How do I add pics?

Thanks

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/fcourtesy.html

this is the Url for the tutorial for removing the front courtesy switch but in replacing that you have to remove the motor and there are step by step instructions. just replace the motor and all should be fine

I think that the motor you mention is for adjusting the seat belt height, not for the retraction. Retraction is part of the spool assembly that the seatbelt is wrapped around.

when you reply, under the text box there is an "attachments" section. browse your files for the pics or pdf or whatever you want to post and attach it to the message and it will show up.

AzHotLS thanks for clearing that up and jwlane sorry for giving you bad information.

Not a problem. Thank you for your help.

post-5384-1230751654_thumb.jpg

when you reply, under the text box there is an "attachments" section. browse your files for the pics or pdf or whatever you want to post and attach it to the message and it will show up.

AzHotLS thanks for clearing that up and jwlane sorry for giving you bad information.

Not a problem. Thank you for your help.

The motor mentioned earlier is for vertical adjustment of the seat belt at the B pillar connection. Most likely you can just clean out the assembly, lubricate and have it working again. Can't remember whether it was wwest or mburnickas who posted the instructions. Look up their history or use the search facility. From what I can remember it was an easy straight forward procedure.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So i read the post and I'm still confused on what to disconnect. Did anyone do this and took pics that can be posted ?

My car has been in accident previously and seat belts are loose now. Question is do seat belts still work after car accident?

If so do disconnecting power to that seat belt makes it safe? Did anyone also confirm that. I would rather have loose belt then non-working one!?

Also is loose belt safe? So lexus will not replace the springs or solenoid or belt for free due to safety issue ? Anyone tried?

So disconnect dark blue plug or light blue plug ?

courtesy7.jpg

So i read the post and I'm still confused on what to disconnect. Did anyone do this and took pics that can be posted ?

My car has been in accident previously and seat belts are loose now. Question is do seat belts still work after car accident?

If so do disconnecting power to that seat belt makes it safe? Did anyone also confirm that. I would rather have loose belt then non-working one!?

Also is loose belt safe? So lexus will not replace the springs or solenoid or belt for free due to safety issue ? Anyone tried?

So disconnect dark blue plug or light blue plug ?

courtesy7.jpg

"Is a loose seat belt safe" - Absolutely not!!!!! Unless Lexus is feeling particulary benevolent I seriously doubt they would cover replacement unless the car is under warranty. The exception might be if there had been a TSB or a recall.

sebastor, what is that a picture of? I don't see a seatbelt so I'm not sure what you're showing us. Take a look at the second picture in my post that shows the entire pillar, is your picture showing what's behind the white plastic cover in mine?

You don't list the year of your car but from your previous posts, I think you have a 90, correct. My pics are from a 95 so there will be some differences.

If your seatbelts don't fit snugly up against you then they're not safe. Do they at least stop if you pull on them hard? Even if they do, I think you need to get your seatbelts replaced. For a 90, no way is Lexus going to do it for free.

AZhot ....this pic i got from this DIY http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/electrical/fcourtesy.html

I was under impression seat belt wont stop unless there is huge significant force or other factors. I don't recall from my previous car how they worked but i thought u can't test them by just pulling really hard?!! Sometimes when i jerk it really hard and fast it locks but i can't replicate that every time.

I was thinking its not enough force. Can one of you actually test this on your ls....mine is 90.

OK, I'm with you now. I think that motor being referred to is just for the shoulder height adjustment and has nothing to do with tension but I could be wrong.

I think you're right about pulling hard, I was remembering from another car. I'm not near my 95 now (wife drives it) but will try tonight.

In my earlier post I pointed to a thread that had instructions on how to retension the seatbelt, here is the direct link to that post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&p=23606

Hopfully somone how has done the motor disconnect fix will come by but I have a feeling short of the retensioning described, you're gonna have to get new seatbelts. For peace of mind, I did.

Ok i just tested them again and if i pull on them really hard and fast they lock just fine. Still they are little loose as far as retracting.

So i was referring to that solenoid power plug not the up and down adjustment of the seat belt. Do you or anyone know which plug is that and will seat belts still work after unplugging the power from that solenoid ?

• 2 years later...

Hi! I hope you're still using the same email address. I also have a '96 LS400. The passenger seatbelt will not retract, but if you unhook it, it immediately retracts and holds. But if passenger leans forward, they then have to repeat the process. If you think that this is a retractor problem, please advise and send me your pictures. Thanks! Bob