Yet Another Hood Shock Question

Lambo Travis

I've read several threads going back to 2003 on replacement hood shocks for my '90 LS 400 -

the consensus (and repair instructions) seem ta be go with the AutoZone Mighty Lift C95029 even tho the travel is shorter, therefore the hood won't open as far.

I orderd a set. When I went to pick'em up - AutoZone was outta bizness -----j/k - seriously, the 95029's looked longer laying next to the Lexus shock. The clerk looked up on their computer and found the #869526 was listed. I ordered those, but told him to keep the others in so we can compare them.

I noticed while typing this, that this new model only has a 3 month warranty, whereas everyone was talking about the 95029 having a lifetime -

the 869526 also costs more - $25.99 vs. $19.99 - but he made an even swap -

so -

anyone have experience with this other model number?

does the 95029 just 'look' longer, but under pressure, really have a shorter throw?

if they work ok - I saved about $12 by ordering the "wrong" item (hint hint)

thanx -

~T~

Follow up & GREAT NEWS!!

These shocks come WITH the ball joints in a little pack - apparently that's why they're $5 more -

To me, it's worth the time (mine is limited) PLUS I still have the originals to salvage at a later date when I have time or need'em!!

results -

NICE -

they apparently are not as "strong" as the 95029's because I definitely needed the pair and it's not hard(stiff) to close -

it opens about 90% of the way, then slows down/buffers the last coupla inches -

PRO

quicker & easier ta install

less stiffness ta work out

CON

$5 each more - unless, as I mentioned, I told the guy that I went on line & a Forum had recommended the 95029's and that was what I had ordered, he heard "internet" and mighta thought I ordered from the AutoZone website & "it" had recommended the 95029. so when we looked at'em and the 95029's were actually longer than the Lexus, he checked his computer and it said use this model 869526, so after I waited the 3 days to get the first "incorrect" pair (95029) and then was gonna hafta wait another 2 days for the 869526, he didn't charge me the extra $10 - (as I said - HINT to da wise)

~T~

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up & GREAT NEWS!!

These shocks come WITH the ball joints in a little pack - apparently that's why they're $5 more -

To me, it's worth the time (mine is limited) PLUS I still have the originals to salvage at a later date when I have time or need'em!!

results -

NICE -

they apparently are not as "strong" as the 95029's because I definitely needed the pair and it's not hard(stiff) to close -

it opens about 90% of the way, then slows down/buffers the last coupla inches -

PRO

quicker & easier ta install

less stiffness ta work out

CON

$5 each more - unless, as I mentioned, I told the guy that I went on line & a Forum had recommended the 95029's and that was what I had ordered, he heard "internet" and mighta thought I ordered from the AutoZone website & "it" had recommended the 95029. so when we looked at'em and the 95029's were actually longer than the Lexus, he checked his computer and it said use this model 869526, so after I waited the 3 days to get the first "incorrect" pair (95029) and then was gonna hafta wait another 2 days for the 869526, he didn't charge me the extra $10 - (as I said - HINT to da wise)

~T~

Well all that was confusing!!!!

So, what pair did you end up using!!!!!!!

I went to the Autozone website and typed in the lift numbers. The site said that they did not match any parts in the catalog. Any suggestions?

?????

I'm holding the receipt in one hand - typing with other - it has the above #869526 -

- BUT -

the actual BAG sez -

B95153

(then under bar code)

43645 72613 3

Well all that was confusing!!!!

So, what pair did you end up using!!!!!!!

I am using the one's per Autozone's suggestion -

I TRIED ta show how ta possibly save a few bucks -

good luck -

~T~