Diagnostics Check

eli2k

Current 1992 ES300 is displaying the check engine symbol and I'm supposed to bring it to a shop to see what is wrong. They're supposed to connect the car to a computer system, but they're charging $60 for it. I live in the Garden Grove, CA area, so do you know if there are any cheaper places, or if there is and alternate pathway I can take to resolve the car situation?

Thanks.

you could try pulling the codes yourself.

here is a link to explain how. Post the code(s) you get.

Lexus Trouble Codes

steviej

Thanks. I saw one of your past posts and you mentioned Autozone does it for free? Do they still do that? Maybe that's easier than trying to figure it out myself and possibly messing up somewhere and making it worse.

Well Autozone will do it for OBDII. They wont do it for OBD I. Plus... im not sure if they even know how to do it. Even if they do... i doubt they would do it for u. Just follow that site and you should be fine. I assure u.... i was very car stupid.... ask Toys... he can confirm it :P ... hahaha... i did this myself... u'll be fine. Just have like a 18 Gauge wire... about 4 inches in length... n just strip the ends of the wire.... about 1/4 inch off the end on both sides. Just a word of advice... print out the picture... to make it easier when u go to the car to pull out the trouble code. Be sure to align the picture accordingly. Like i mentioned in other posts.... i dont know what will happen if u jump the wrong terminals... but best not take that risk. But u should be fine after that. Once u know which code it is.... do a search for that trouble code.... or... u can ask the forum if u can't find n e info on it. Good luck.

Tom ;) :lol:

Okay, I tried it and it works. :)

The resultant error code seems to be 71, which corresponds to an EGR system malfunction, which I don't know what it is supposed to mean. I did a search on here, and I've seen several mentions of cleaning or replacing the EGR valve. I know someone who knows repairs cars, so would they know what to do if I told them that this error code is showing up?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...