Just Test Drove The New Is350 - Time For Questions

I loved the car and thought it was incredible, my only hesitations in purchasing it are:

A. This is the first year the car has been out - only mildly concerned about this though

B. I think if I wait a year the price may come down

C. It's currently only offered in automatic - I remember when the G35 was first released it was only available as an auto as well, I wonder if they will add a manual to the car in the next year or so...

Any input?

I loved the car and thought it was incredible, my only hesitations in purchasing it are:

A. This is the first year the car has been out - only mildly concerned about this though

B. I think if I wait a year the price may come down

C. It's currently only offered in automatic - I remember when the G35 was first released it was only available as an auto as well, I wonder if they will add a manual to the car in the next year or so...

Any input?

I think Lexus will take care of their drivers if any glitches come up. Most of the technology in the car is already proven in the GS.

If you wait, you might get some discount. If a dealer wants to treat you well now, he can inflate your trade in price some and even things out some.

I think there will be lots more interest in the 350 than Lexus planned, so expect a manual trans probably in 2007. IMHO. They did the same way with trans in the original IS300.

The 6 speed auto with paddle shifters really impressed me. But maybe I'm easily impressed. I haven't owned a manual shift car since 1986.

Lexus is a division of Toyota. Toyota and Honda are the two best auto manufacturers in the world. They don't have issues with first year models anymore.

Of course the gotta-have-its will pay more to be one of the first to drive the new models. Of course the price will come down a little bit but it could take a full year (there's no way anyone should pay over window sticker for a car).

Paddle shifters are fun at first but not very practical when driving at all aggressively since the paddles can be tough to "find" when the wheel is turned. You'll give up on the paddles after a short while. Sure would be nice if the 350 came with a 6-speed!

Come January, the IS 250 will have the 6 speed manual stick shift as standard equipment. They aren't shipping them untill then because they feel most of the peak interrest will be in the AWD IS 250 and the RWD IS 350, which are not available at all with a stick shift.

If anything the price will go up with time. No Mark Lev yet, to keep price down. No HID's yet. Only 3 packages to choose, in Nor Cal  to get the interest developed.

MAN!!!

I must have the worst salespeople on the planet here in AZ....

I was told:

1. They came standard w/ Adaptive HID's

2. No stick... evar.. reason: ULEV II, and most importantly, market. Remember that MT IS300's turned into planters on dealership lots.

3. I can factory order one any way I want.. it'll just take 4-6 MONTHS!!!

The thing that deters me the most is the fact that you cant turn off the traction control... that may be a deal-killer for me.

Did you have a chance to check out the peformance with the paddle shifters? How long of a drive did you take? Was there anything about the car you didnt like, handling or performance wise? Thats it for now.

I'm looking forward to see what further they will do in the development of the IS 350.

Did you have a chance to check out the peformance with the paddle shifters? How long of a drive did you take? Was there anything about the car you didnt like, handling or performance wise? Thats it for now.

I'm looking forward to see what further they will do in the development of the IS 350.

I had a chance to drive a 250 on the freeway and around town. The main reason I wanted to drive it was to test the paddle shifting. It was nice, but there is some lag to upshifting. I don't believe it is a real replacement for a manual transmission, not that is was supposed to be. I love having a manual transmission, and the lack of one in the IS350 right now is the main reason I probably will get something else, or wait and see if they come out with one in 2007. I thought it handled great, not quite on par with the new 330i with a sport package, but pretty close. I really like the feel of being inside the Lexus, it just feels nicer than the competitors. Lexus has made a very nice car with the new IS!