Gen. I-cabin Filters--air Conditioning

tansupplyman

Note that the A/C filters start at 1993 !!! Been lots said about it [or rather: these] in the past several months. For clarification; when you order the cabin filter, part # 88880-50010{$36. at irontoad.com}, you get TWO filters-both of them go in the car. Yes, they are more expensive than the Gen II+ "cloth" type.

Below the glovebox door is a panel. There are 3 clips across the top, get a putty knife and pop these loose; remove the light by twisting, take off panel by pushing the whole thing forward and down. loosen the wing nuts(2) on the bottom of the unit, remove, pull one filter out, straight down then swing to the left; the other filter is in there toward the front. reach in and pull toward you. then pull down and out.

Installation of new ones are in reverse of all this[but note: there are clips on the 3 extrusions for the top panel fastening; make sure the clips are slipped on them-sometimes they fall off]. Hopefully, this post will help the situation.

The photo of both filters(old ones) is attached:

post-4-1088107321.jpg

Tansupply has a good post, because my recent experiences with cabin filters show that it is critical for all DIY'ers to know how to replace them because:

1. The previous owner of my '94 LS was charged plenty for replacement of the filters-and NO filters were to be found in the plenum upon my purchase. I mean, it's not like they fall out....Done at a dealer, too.

2. My very recent experience with a loss of A/C, which I detailed as "A 6 to 1 bet" on another post, also included the indie telling me that my cabin filters were dirty, and needed to be replaced. Since I had replaced them only 2 months ago, it was an obvious rip-off maneuver. He not only wanted to charge me $1,200 for repair of an A/C system which only needed a small plastic part reinstalled, he wanted to tuck it to me for the cabin filters, too.

Maybe there should be a law requiring "service consultants" to wear ski-masks? Sad...

Yes---hard to relate to folks who are NOT DIY'ers. They are the ones who should NEVER----EVER----- let a car get out or warranty..... trade-trade--trade------- or PAY---PAY---PAY-----

Read your earlier posts--hard to believe---WELL, maybe NOT...................it was a dealer, wasn't it?

The recent affair with the $1,200 repair of the A/C was the result of going to an Indie chain with the name "Regency". They are all a bunch of new "arrivals" to this country. I think they are all trained to rip off the consumer. One time, I had them grind my rotors down, and they told me I needed to have the Tranny fluid replaced. I had done it 3 months previously. Funny how I didn't figure out that they were crooks. So I went back to them with the A/C problem.....

Doesn't pay to be a trusting individual when it comes to auto repairs. Or new car purchases either. Just a barrel of drowning rats, I think...

I think the problem is that other people, who you ask for advice on repair places, don't know that they have been ripped off. So they will tell you that a place is "OK". That's why a DIY needs to know exactly what is wrong before going out for 3rd party help.

Especially with a Lexus. It's like a money magnet to a mechanic. Tanman's Geo Metro has a much easier time, that's for sure....

Just a note here to say that this applies to model year 93 and beyond.

I had to make sure, since the post says Gen 1, that my 91 did not have this filter even though I was told in the past that it did not.

Wishful thinking/hope -- well, it does not and I know for sure now since I got on my head and remove those screws and clips on the passenger side under my glove box.

disappointed? Yeah...

So as a note, in cases where it matters, use model year as opposed to Gen 1, Gen 2, etc. It'l save me taking my car apart and finding out it does not apply.

;-)

thanks