Removal Of Steering Column Covers On 1999 Ls400.

Mile_High_Flyer

Hi. The electric motor on my 1999 Lexus LS400 steering column which which moves the steering wheel up and down, (not in and out) appears to be faulty. It will work if you put weight on the wheel to move it, while pressing the switch, but otherwise it often only moves a fraction of an inch. I have a new motor out of a 1991 Celsior 400. Are they the same motor, and how do I get access to that motor. I'm not sure how to remove the covers to get that access. Can anyone help me please? My car is right hand drive, but I assume this would be the same as left hand drive.

Many thanks

Keith

Gosh, I remember people reporting on the forums that when they tried to follow instructions for the 90-94 LS400 to repair tilt/telescope problems on the later LS400 that the internals of the later LS400 were quite different.

I owned a 1990 LS400 for over 13 years and I can sure tell you that the tilt motor on the 90 LS was far noisier, even when new, than the tilt motor on my 2000 LS400 which is nearly silent.

Also, there was a TSIB on most US spec 99-00 LS400s under which both the tilt and telescope motors were replaced with redesigned units. There were other TSIBs on the tilt/telescope system including one to replace the flexible cable with a U-joint.

I'll attach the first TSIB and a second TSIB that shows how the column goes together on a U.S. spec 98-up LS400.

It's hard to say how similar RHD and LHD models of the later LS400s are. A co-worker of mine in the U.K. and I found there were very significant differences between his RHD and my LHD gen 1 LS400.

Tilt__Telescopic_Steering_Column_TISB.pdf

TSIB_ST001_04_Steering_column_noise.pdf

Gosh, I remember people reporting on the forums that when they tried to follow instructions for the 90-94 LS400 to repair tilt/telescope problems on the later LS400 that the internals of the later LS400 were quite different.

I owned a 1990 LS400 for over 13 years and I can sure tell you that the tilt motor on the 90 LS was far noisier, even when new, than the tilt motor on my 2000 LS400 which is nearly silent.

Also, there was a TSIB on most US spec 99-00 LS400s under which both the tilt and telescope motors were replaced with redesigned units. There were other TSIBs on the tilt/telescope system including one to replace the flexible cable with a U-joint.

I'll attach the first TSIB and a second TSIB that shows how the column goes together on a U.S. spec 98-up LS400.

It's hard to say how similar RHD and LHD models of the later LS400s are. A co-worker of mine in the U.K. and I found there were very significant differences between his RHD and my LHD gen 1 LS400.

I thank you. I have been able to check it, but unfortunately the motor and gearing etc, are all totally different on the 1999 to what is on my 1991, which presumably is probably the same as my 1989. The '99 is the same as the information you gave me.

Now I want to remove the lower part of the instrument binnacle with the alarm LED, so I can replace the LED with a better and brighter one. Any thoughts on how to get that off? Thanks again.