Brake Issue?

Today is the second week since I purchased the 99 ES 300. I have noticed something with my brakes. My car will run just fine but at times and its been frequent now when I slow down and about getting ready to stop my brakes makes squeaking or screeching noises. I'm not sure if it happens on all sides but it has been more frequent. Its really getting on my nerves everytime I stop and I can hear the breaks squeaking or screeching. I know that should not have happened. Could it be that one or more brakes are worn out? What do you guys think? Do you think it might be the breaks? or something else? When I took it last week for the battery check, I told them I heard the noise and looking at their invoice it says: "CK Break Squeak, No apparent problem with Brake System, Semi Metallic Breaks are okay at this time." I have the dealers 90 day warranty, balance of factory warranty and the extended warranty.

You don't say whether you purchased your car from a Lexus dealer or not, but assuming that you did, there is nothing dramatically wrong with your brakes. A Lexus dealer would go over the entire braking system of a trade in and would replace any half worn parts before it was sold. So you have nothing to worry about as far as the brakes failing or needing repairs in the immediate future. That said, the screeching and squeaking noises have 2 sources generally. There is a metal finger that as the brake pads wear down will eventually contact the rotor and make a screeching sound, indicating that it is time for brake service and new brake pads. Since your recent service check said that the brakes are fine, you have a vibration that is occurring when the pads hit the rotor. Usually the anti squeal shims between your pads and the caliper absorb this vibration and won't allow the squeal. Sometimes the mechanic will add an anti squeal sealant between the shims and the pads during their installation to further ensure no squeal. Sometimes the build up of brake dust can start the problem. Your solution may be to take the car back to the dealer and ask them to clean the pads and slider surfaces and apply anti squeal sealant to the shims. They should be more than happy to correct the problem for you, particularly when you took delivery of the vehicle such a short time ago. Hope it works out for you, and Welcome to the fraternity!

gbhrps' responce is both informative and accurate. If I remember from your previous post, dbrutus, the car was purchased from a Toyota dealer (not Lexus), correct?

I might add one more possibility. The previous owner at some point had the brakes done and an inferior aftermarket brake pad was used. Maybe a metallic pad was used. These will squeal when very little pressure is applied but will stop squealling when heavier pressure is applied.

solution, replace the brake pads with new Toyota brand pads. If they won't replace them under warranty and your complaint of "noisy brakes" then they might meet you half way on this (you buy the pads, they do the work at no charge).

Or order the pads from www.irontoad.com and DIY.

steviej