Aftermarket E-brake Shoes? Calipers?

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket emergency brake shows available for the ES300? I replaced mine about a month ago, but for some reason, the driver's side is already down to the metal! It must be due to an incorrect installation (which was done by a friend). It makes a horrible scratching sound when I drive :(

What sucks is that Toyota only sells E-Brake shoes in a set, which means I will have to buy the entire set again, even though I only need the one side. And if my memory serves me correctly, I believe the set was over $180.00CAN! ($128.00US).

How frusterating!

Also, are there aftermarket calipers available for the ES? The shop can't bleed them so I need new ones.

This is going to be a big service bill :o

Thanks for the help!

Bryan

each wheel has two pads (expendable surfaces that wear away), 1 rotor (large disk that the pads clamp on) and 1 caliper (apperatus that the pads are housed in, actually does the clamping of the pads).

the emergency/parking brake is a whole separate mechanism inside the drum of the rear rotor hubs.

Have someone check the brake pads, one may have been put in backwords. Funny as it sounds, it happens. If it was, the rotor is probably shot now too.

steviej.

Thanks for the reply :)

I do know that my rotors and pads are all fine, because I have just replaced them all this month.

What I have done in last month:

- Replaced rear pads and rotors

- Replaced Emergency brake cable and shoes because it was stuck

- Replaced front brakes and rotors

- Recharged the A/C with 1.5 lbs of freon. Now it's SOO COLD :)

What I have yet to do:

- Fix massive leak in brake line (I have no breaks!)

- Replace all calipers because the shop cannot bleed the system

- Replace the e-brake shoes AGAIN because, for some reason, the driver's side show is already down to the metal and makes an aweful scratching sound when I drive

- Fix a leak in the power steering

- Figure out and fix the rumbling sound in the rear when I go over bumps

- Figure out and fix the squeaking in the rear. When I push down on the rear of the car, it squeaks quite loudly

Looks like I am going to rack up quite a bill this month :( I love the ES300 though and it's worth it. The engine and transmission has never failed me . . . it's only the wear and tear parts or parts that will rust that can give me a headache.

Any thoughts on what the rumbling or squeaking may be? I have another post describing the rumbling in more detail. If anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Regards,

Bryan

the squeek is probably a dry bushing that needs to be lubed the rest i answered in other posts

you need a better friend who knows what they are doing as it sounds like you parking brake is frozen and not disengagin on one side causing it to burn the shoes

calipers can be rebuilt easy ,you won;t find a new one around anyway as all of the lexus ones even are rebuilt

i am suprised the shop can;t do it for you.

The calipers are going to be about $400CAN for the parts . . . I guess that isn't too bad. They didn't mention anything about rebuilding the ones I have. They said something about not being able to get them off without breaking them (or something like that?)

Regards,

Bryan

they should be able to take it apart and clean it plus rebuild it with a kit from lexus for way less

Well, if they would have considered doing that, then I think they would have mentioned it. I would just go to the wrecker and get a set off of a '86 for cheap, but I think the garage has already started installing the ones that they had ordered. I gave them the "go ahead" last week. I don't really have the time to shop around because I really need my car back soon.

Thanks for your help,

Bryan