Replacing Factory Sub...

hey, I have a first generation GS300 with the stock 10" in the back dash...and i would like to change that. Im under the impression that, so i dont have to have a box so i can keep it lookin stock, i have to get a free-air sub. Ive heard JL makes a couple good free air subs, but what would you guys suggest? also, what for the amp? I dont need it to be loud, i just want a good, clean sound...thanks

hey, I have a first generation GS300 with the stock 10" in the back dash...and i would like to change that. Im under the impression that, so i dont have to have a box so i can keep it lookin stock, i have to get a free-air sub. Ive heard JL makes a couple good free air subs, but what would you guys suggest? also, what for the amp? I dont need it to be loud, i just want a good, clean sound...thanks

hey what's up... i have a 93 gs3 with factory sub powered by a sony amp. let me tell you, there's more potential from the factory sub than you think. but anyways... i'm a big fan of JL audio and used to own competition equipment from them... but anways... i would go with a 10'' w3 sub to replace the factory one... but you might have to modify the cradle for the sub because these JL's are going to heavier than the factory sub and I don't know for sure if the factory mounts will support it... with that sub alone and atleast a 400 watt amp, you'll be rocking down the street... perfect combo. I install stereos and that's what i would go with...

Forget that! :huh: Go with a 12, drops right in! You will have to drill new mounting holes ;) I used a us amps amp for the bass and a cove woofer, sounds awesome! all freeair with no enclosure, and plenty of dynamat!

what brand 12" did you drop?

You guys are replacing the factory sub with aftermarket ones, what amps are you using? Are you guys still using the stock head unit?

what's going on yo... i am pushing the factory sub with a sony amp. I also have a panasonic dvd screen player for my head unit. running all my speakers through the head unit and dedicating 400 watts to the sub alone. i like the nakamichi setup. sounds better with more watts.

Does the Nakamichi system have it's own amp? I would think that amp would push out more power than a head unit right?

Also, is there a way of changing the amp to an aftermarket one while keeping the stock radio?

Does the Nakamichi system have it's own amp? I would think that amp would push out more power than a head unit right?

Also, is there a way of changing the amp to an aftermarket one while keeping the stock radio?

there is a nakamichi amp which actually powers all the speakers. you can locate this unit underneath your stock cd changer. all the wires coming from the harness' power all your speakers including your sub. so since, i replaced my head unit... i either had the option to use my stock amp to power a distorted sub... or not have a sub at all... well we tested the amp with sub... but when you reved the engine, you get distortion... so i said, to hell with that... then i went home and installed a sony amp. now my factory sub kicks harder than ever before.