Just bought a 07 ES350 with 138K miles

MUA1549

Hello everyone,
I just bought a 07 ES350 with 138K miles last week and have some questions. The car drive well and shift smoothly. 
1. I brought the car to a mechanic shop near my home and the mechanic recommended me to change the steering rack, pressure hoses, and steering pump since there are some leaking. He qouted me 2000$ for the work. Is the price ok? He will use good brand after-market parts. I live in California.
2. He told me the transmission fluid is very dirty and recommended me to have it changed. He will drain it out and keep putting in new fluid until the color become clean. He won't use any kind of pressure. The price is 300$. Should I let him do it? 
3. I paid 7600$ for the car. What do you guys think? 

Thank you so much for you all

Hi MUA1549 ....welcome to the Club

I would say the power steering is acceptable for a minimal amount of fluid loss which can be gauged by cleaning it off (jetwash) and see where the leak is coming from (difference between weeping and leaking which can easily change from the one to the other).
Maybe hold off from that until you can determine the actual source of the leak.

The transmission fluid is a must if it hasn't been changed in a while, also ensure the filter is changed at the same time for that money

• 1 year later...

Well, I am new to Lexus and new to this site. BUT I have been told that if the mileage is well over 100K not to change it. That said, I just bought an 07 with 160K and I am having the fluid changed Thursday. I will report if there are any problems in a week or two. If you can wait that long. 

Ed, I hope that it works out for us.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...