I ain’t buying no Lexus RX 350 If it runs on Premium.

OK Dave: I’m due to jump up to the next Gen Lexus SUV in about a year.

It almost has to be a hybrid because the Greenies have won the battle to get 5 and 6 dollar gas.

But if the NX 350h and RX 350h continue to use only premium gas, It’s over.  I’ll go grab a lowly RAV 4 before I’ll pay for Premium gas in anything.  Premium is not always available at the gas stations and it’s 60 to 70 cents higher than Low Test. My last RAV 4 was "Just sort of OK" but it ran on Regular...

Well, Les I've been running mid-grade in our 400h and it has always had plenty of power and great gas mileage. I'm assuming that your 2020 RX 350 will sell for quite a bit, correct?

No pinging? Interesting!  Initial release of the 2023 Next Gen RX will not be discounted at all,  due to higher demand, probably until after the 2024s come in.  Existing 350s will be old gen, so will take the traditional hit in resale value because of that.  But then, the fact that the V6 is gone after 2022, may keep the demand up for older V6 models. May have to wait to see how many bugs have to be fixed on the new RX-350 platform, which is presently used on the Highlander.  Have to wait and see how people react to getting the I-4 engine in an RX 350.

Yeh Dave?  I found an Edmonds site that lists those rides that require Premium and those that just recommend it.

Up to 2017, the RX 350h did not require Premium gas.  A lot of Lexus rides do require premium. No data listed after 2017.

I think my trusted salesman has been blowing smoke up my tailpipe.

I always believed that the cutoff between the use of Premium had to do with the compression ratio.

Hi compression engines need the higher octane. In low-compression engines, devices have been invented to avoid the clatter.

I have the 2022 full line brochure on the Lexus models and the window sticker from one. And no where does it give the engine model names for any of the rides.

So I don't know how you can tell which models use engines with what compression ratios, unless you own one and have the manual.

Les, have you tried searching for owner's manuals, online? Also, have you done any calculations to justify swapping your RX for a new hybrid version? How about a used RX450h? The hybrid averages 29 MPG vs. 22 for your RX. Whether an update makes sense would be determined by your driving schedule. 

Couple of reasons, Dave.  Pre-owned vehicles take a hit after the warrantee run out because dealer and buyer have to pay for certification. At 3 1/2 years, it's easier to sell a vehicle that has a 4 year warrantee, so I believe.  Just so happens that it falls into the next generation RX. With the 16 to 22s all looking alike, it's a good bet the 23 will be a bit more daring in its style.

Huntsville is the fasted growing city in the state and my area is becoming gridlocked.  Gas tax went up but the new roads are still on the drawing board.

This in not a problem unique to our area.  I believe more people will start driving hybrids.  Down the road, it may be harder to trade an RX 350.

Greenies might even slap a Gas Guzzler tax on it.

I'm now getting about 18 MPG city due to long lights and heavy traffic. An NX 350h would put out 41 MPG city.  That is also an option that spells resale value down the road.  Thanks, Dave!