New and looking for someone with information on 1994 LS400 Model - Southern California

Isabella83

Hello fellow Lexus enthusiasts!

I've owned my 1994 LS400 Lexus since 2000 and I still love it. It's been the only car I've kept over 4 years. I used to Travel for a living and drove many car rentals but was always happy to be back at the Airport picking up my Lexus...you can't beat the smooth ride of this model. People are shocked I only have 160,000 miles on it. Although I've had many offers on this vehicle, I've opted to keep it. However, as of late, I'm finding it difficult to find a great, trustworthy mechanic who knows the ins and outs of this particular model/vehicle. I currently reside in the La Quinta, California area so any referrals would be greatly appreciated. Sadly, the local Lexus dealership is more interested in commission than getting my car in pristine condition. 

I specifically have a recent issue with the "actuator" on the left door. No one can seem to get this fixed and I've had to climb in from the passenger side. I found out they haven't made the part since 2004 but I'm sure car collectors or one of the many websites could find this part and fix this problem without ripping my door open. 

I look forward to hearing back from anyone who many be of assistance. This car has been incredibly reliable and although it's older, I've yet to drive a vehicle that is quieter and has a smoother ride. I was told by a mechanic years ago the 1994 was the last "hand built" Lexus model of it's kind. 

Cheers and Thank you!

Isabella 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not much help so far Isabella... 
It seems they are mostly out of stock at the normal suppliers as they told you  
6904050070 seems to be the part you might need ? . Check that number?
I have not needed to work on mine, a 1995 and a 1998 but typically the actuators I have worked on ( european vehicles ) these things is a sizeable lump of mechanics where the small motor opening and closing may have given up. 

If you google it you find new ones for 500 Candian $ . You seem to be able to find a used working one for about 100$ on EBAY. I would dare buy a used one. These seem to be long lived normally..
IF the Driver door is now impossible to open it can be tricky to take the door apart for the job. May be some trick for it I do not know. 
The inside of the door needs to be taken off to exchange this part typically.  

We DIY people ( with a spare car) would probably inspect the old actuator and see if it needs some creative service to come back to life. Probably not smart if you pay someone by the hour though. 

Mikael 

• Thanks 1

Sadly, it's the non-mechanic type who often have to give up on an old car for various reasons. Most of the time, it's because the cost of repair is more than 50% of the cost of the vehicle.
I once had a 1989 Mazda MX6 GT Turbo that I loved but had to give it up because some parts were no longer available and because gasket replacement labor cost would've been more than $2000.

Years ago, over on the east coast many car owners had to scrap their still-great-running cars because the frames were so rusted that the state would not allow them to be driven on public roads.

• Thanks 1

This actuator was only used on model years 1990 - 1994 so they're kind of hard to find in any condition.

There are two options:

1) Pick-and-Pull auto wrecking yards

2) Ebay

Both come with risks as the actuator you get may be in the same or worse condition than the part you're going to replace.  However, I've taken the eBay risk in the past on other unobtanium car parts and have a high rate of satisfaction, generally speaking.

Currently, there are two driver's side door actuators listed on eBay.  One is refurbished/rebuilt and one is used.  I would take a chance on the refurbished one; it appears from the listing that because the person wants your old unit in return, he/she takes the good "guts" out of several returns to make good, operational ones and re-sells them (which is what you'll be receiving).

Ebay search for P/N 6904050070 or P/N 69040-50070 and you'll get the listings.

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, paulo57509 said:

This actuator was only used on model years 1990 - 1994 so they're kind of hard to find in any condition.

There are two options:

1) Pick-and-Pull auto wrecking yards

2) Ebay

Both come with risks as the actuator you get may be in the same or worse condition than the part you're going to replace.  However, I've taken the eBay risk in the past on other unobtanium car parts and have a high rate of satisfaction, generally speaking.

Currently, there are two driver's side door actuators listed on eBay.  One is refurbished/rebuilt and one is used.  I would take a chance on the refurbished one; it appears from the listing that because the person wants your old unit in return, he/she takes the good "guts" out of several returns to make good, operational ones and re-sells them (which is what you'll be receiving).

Ebay search for P/N 6904050070 or P/N 69040-50070 and you'll get the listings.

Good luck.

Thank you for this information and yes, both of these options were presented to me. Hardest part is finding a reliable Mechanic who knows how to fix it. At this point, I’ve decided to try to Sell it for parts to a Lexus enthusiast. It’s worth much more this way. I’m sure going to miss how reliable this vehicle has been. 

I understand that decision.  Some parts are getting really hard to find or fix and it may soon become too much of a hassle on a daily driver to be honest. 
 Perhaps a sunny day hobby car only soon. I have managed so far but I do have a spare car I can use if fixing takes time.
Often does if you DIY exclusively like me and are in no real hurry. Driving the spare car kind of sucks... 

At least you have a spare car. I need mine for work. I drive 40 miles round trip but getting in and out from the drivers side is not good for my back. It’s not easy buying a new car either since COVID lockdowns have affected a lot of dealerships. Crazy times. I appreciate your input. Happy New Year. 

My LS400 1995 I have last 6 years in fairness been very reliable compared to more modern European cars we own/owned, wifes car and the "spare cars".

The LS400 Always started and took us to destination. The number of problems has been much fewer than the europeans even though those were driven much less AND "only" about half the age.  One electric thing after the other failing...

However as mentioned if fixing and repairing the few things that needs doing on the LS400 is a bit of a project that also may take time it quickly becomes less tempting.