Leather Seats

Linda C

I have only one complaint regarding my 2000 RX300. The leather on the driver's seat has split on the side and also shows fine split lines on the seat itself. I reported the side split before the warranty expired and the dealership made a clumsy repair which has since broken apart. Obviously the pressure from getting in and out would tear apart any liquid repair. What are the chances of my getting a replacement from the company? I know that Lexus supposedly uses a high quality leather, but I'm not convinced of this with my seat. The leather itself is paper thin! Never experienced this problem with any of my Dad's 3 Mercedes over the years -- and he kept one for 150,000 miles. Would appreciate any suggestions to remedy the situation. Thank you!! Linda

Hi Linda,

You posted this in the wrong forum.......maybe one of the moderators could move it into the RX forum. You're now in the ES forum. :rolleyes:

Go back to the dealer and show them their poor workmanship. Ask that they recover the seat properly or have them reimburse you if you take it to a professional upholsterer. If that don't fly, then call 1-800-25-LEXUS, explain the situation to a customer service rep. Since you reported it before the warrany expiration and the dealer made a feeble attempt to fix it, I think you may get your seat reupholstered.

it is worth a try at the dealer and no luck, make the call, nothing will happen if you don't.

steviej

Linda C,

Here is a responce that I copied from member 1990LS400 to your duplicate thread on the same subject. (The duplicate thread was removed).

My advice is to go to the Lexus dealer as soon as possible and ask for replacement leather. If you do not get satisfaction, then call Lexus customer service very quickly. Since the leather failed during the warranty period, the dealer made a repair attempt, and your RX is only about four years old, I would be very surprised if Lexus did not take care of this problem. Be firm and please let us know what happens.

I purchased my current 2000 LS shortly after it came off a 3 yr/36K lease and I was a little surprised that the leather on the left side of the driver's seat had some visible crease marks. I have had two Mercedes with leather (another had "MB-Tex") and yes, Mercedes leather seems thicker (but harder) than Lexus leather. However, I have not had one of the more recent Mercedes with softer leather.

I have never been a fan of leather and I have read a lot about leather not lasting as long as cloth. The cloth interior in the LS that I bought in early 90 looked like new after 14 years. I sure can't say the same for the leather in my next door neighbor's LS that he bought new in 1989 and lavished attention on - the leather looked quite worn and creased when he sold the car last year.

steviej

I've heard similar complaints over the leather on the RX. Mine still looks new after 20k miles and the leather on my dad's 98 LS looked almost new after 150k miles when he traded it. I think that the seats may last longer with proper care.

The softer the leather is the more delicate, so if you want soft leather its a tradeoff.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve,

What did your dad do to preserve the leather so well? I have posted a couple of times regarding the Lexol conditioning products, but haven't gotten solid responses. I would love to find a quality treatment to preserve the leather.

The Lexol product that I have used softens the leather somewhat, but has made them sticky and tacky. I have heard of others in the forum waiting for the car interior to reach peak, mid-day heat before applying, but I'm not quite sure what that accomplishes.

Thanks.

I have begun using Autoglym Leather Cleaner & Autoglym Leather Care Cream......I know everyone uses/prefers different things, but I have been satisfied so far with both of them. I have traditionally used a method from SW03ES for cleaning the leather....6:1 ratio of water & woolite....and found it to work perfectly..I just wanted to try something different. I also used the Meg. Gold Class conditioner and just wasn't that thrilled with the results. I have yet to try the Lexol products, but will probably order some b/c I have heard so many compliments towards the product.

I think I have also read that if your seats are sticky after using the product that you need to leave it on longer & put the vehicle in sunlight if possible...it helps it absorb the product much better. I haven't had that problem myself, but that is what I have heard from others...SW03ES....if I am wrong please feel free to correct me!!! Anyways, that is just what I have heard....for what it is worth. SW03ES...if you don't mind, what product do you personally use for conditioning your leather? Just interested.

My 2001 RX 300 has only 35m miles on it, and I just noticed today how much the driver's seat has worn down. There are small tears on the left hand side, and in the lower back area it looks spotted, but it's just really really worn. I had a 1960 Mercedes that had better leather seats than these!

I'm going to take my car back to the dealer as well to complain about this.

Overall, I'm not that happy with my car. It's had a lot of little things go wrong with it -- switches, knobs, lights, etc., that keep me going back to my dealer for repairs on average about once every two or three months.

I'm thinking of trading it in.

I'll let you know what happens at my dealer.

I highly recommend this product:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino

I've been using it for three years now on my Corvette's seats and they look and smell like they did the day I bought the car. Zaino recommends reapplying every couple of months. :cheers:

Hi,

I am a new member of this forum. I bought a used RX 300, 2000 model (44K miles), last year and recently noticed wear and tear on left side of driver's seat. It is very similar to what other members have described. Car warranty has expired last December. I would like to know if I can still ask Lexus to fix the seat based on the fact that this is been a common problem.

Any suggestions or experiences!

Thanks,

Shashank

-----------

www.searchforlight.org

Wing0, check out the Lexus Detailing Forum...it can provide a lot of good information. In short, my autoglym products suggest applications 3 times per year. With these products, I never have had that sticky problem...but some have said that they apply products like lexol and leave their heater running for a while to help it soak in. While I don't know how much good this really does, I guess I would probably try it if I were in your weather situation!! Also, if you don't have to drive the car, you could leave it in overnight....it might help some....like I said, the Lexus Detailing Forum here is full of lots of great info from people who know a lot more about detailing than I do...so check it out...it is fun reading (if you are a car geek like me!!)

Update on my leather seat problem: I spoke with the service manager at my dealership this morning and he did not hesitate to arrange to have the worn seat replaced. I was expecting a little resistance, but happily didn't get any.

OTOH, since I bought my car it has been plagued by a number of small, irritating problems (knobs, switches, etc going out), and I've often thought of trading the car in on something else. Mechanically, it works fine, but all these little things add up and since most of them are intermittent, very few of them have been fixed.

I discussed these issues with the SM today as well, and he assured me that he would look into all the problems I've been having, then take the car for a few days and see if they could get them all worked out.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

i just took my rx300 to the dealership over the weekend and i mentioned to my new service manager about the small tear i had on my driver side seat. i've had that tear "repaired" twice under warrantee already. i'm now outside of the warrantee period but they're going to replace the leather on that side for me anyways. cool! the replacement leather's suppposed to be here next week sometime! woot woot...we'll see how it goes.

I have only one complaint regarding my 2000 RX300. The leather on the driver's seat has split on the side and also shows fine split lines on the seat itself. I reported the side split before the warranty expired and the dealership made a clumsy repair which has since broken apart. Obviously the pressure from getting in and out would tear apart any liquid repair. What are the chances of my getting a replacement from the company? I know that Lexus supposedly uses a high quality leather, but I'm not convinced of this with my seat. The leather itself is paper thin! Never experienced this problem with any of my Dad's 3 Mercedes over the years -- and he kept one for 150,000 miles. Would appreciate any suggestions to remedy the situation. Thank you!! Linda

Linda C,

How heavy are you? Don't worry to tell because we don't see you.