Road Noise Cause?

I have recently developed a noise on the front driver's side wheel area.

It sounds like I am riding on truck tires with a knobby tread. It feels like a road vibration that is being amplified as it travels through the components in the front end on the driver's side. The noise is there and prevalent between 40 MPH and 60 MPH. Above and below those speeds I don't notice it. It is there when I am driving straight and when I turn. The sound seems to go away for a split second when I go over an uneven spot in the road where the suspension drops a little. In other words it goes away when the front end is not weighing heavily on the suspension. After the uneven spot in the road, the noise comes back.

I have had my front driver side wheel bearing replaced recently. I have taken it back to the same mechanic that has closely examined it while driving it. While on the lift he used a sound probe/auto stethescope to listen to the wheel bearing, transmission, etc. He has carefully checked the CV and all associated drive train parts and none of them are the cause of the noise. He has examined the suspension and found nothing visually wrong as well as assured me that all of the associated nuts & bolts were tight. I have also rotated my tires (after the noise appearred) and that has not solved the problem (tires are NOT unidirectional.)

My mechanic is good and I trust his judgement. He has taken great care of me in the past. He dosen't want to go tearing things apart since he feels that there is no safety risk, but the noise is irritating me. Given that the noise does not happen when the car is not riding heavily on the suspension or while on the lift, I think it is the problem is in the suspension.

Before I replace the strut assemblies up front, does anyone have any ideas?

I still think the wheel bearing is suspect. Even though the mechanic listened to it on the lift, you said yourself the sound is most prevelant at 40-60 mph. You won't acheive this on the lift.

Does you mechanic have access to a device called a "Chassis Ear". Very similar to the stethescope method. It is a battery operated headphone set with 6 alligator clips that attach to the areas in question. The operator gets up to speed at which the noise is heard and the technician can listen to each clip separately to determine the source of the noise.

just a thought.

steviej

Maybe the new hub is not placed properly or greased well.

If it makes no noise change with turngin left and right then i doubt it tis the wheel bearing.

Try a good alignment also you may be scalloping your tires. Especially if a shock is worn or a bushing.

I still think the wheel bearing is suspect. Even though the mechanic listened to it on the lift, you said yourself the sound is most prevelant at 40-60 mph. You won't acheive this on the lift.

Does you mechanic have access to a device called a "Chassis Ear". Very similar to the stethescope method. It is a battery operated headphone set with 6 alligator clips that attach to the areas in question. The operator gets up to speed at which the noise is heard and the technician can listen to each clip separately to determine the source of the noise.

just a thought.

steviej

Actually he said that he had one of his techs gas it up to 55 on the lift while he was listening. I'm still leaning towards the suspension since it doesn't make noise while I turn. (plus the other symptoms).

Actually he said that he had one of his techs gas it up to 55 on the lift while he was listening.

Is this really the same? There is no load/friction on the tire/wheel/hub/bearing from the road if the car is on the lift. I think this will help create the noise wherever it is coming from.

steviej