97 Ls400 Break Pads / Rear O2 Sensor

ChrisD1

Last November I bought a 97 LS400 with 72,000 miles on it. Needless to say I am thrilled to have it. This group was one of the principal reasons that I decided to get the car – so thank you to a first class group.

My current maintenance issues include rear brake pads and a right/rear o2 sensor. I had the o2 sensor diagnosed at a local independent for $133. They said it was the heater in the sensor that was not working -- so that as soon as the exhaust system is heated the sensor works normally. I still would like to replacing it a soon as possible because I want the check engine light to go off.

I have never done my own maintenance before unless you count gas and washer fluid. However I am more than ready to learn. From what I’m hearing, I should be able to do the brake pads ok, but are o2 sensors too complicated for a newbie? Can I do this maintenance without buying maintenance manuals right now?

Does anyone know of detailed instructions for replacing o2 sensors?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are planning on DIY for maintenance of your Lexus, bite the bullet and buy the shop manuals, they will pay for themselves many times over and in many cases you will just be spinning your wheels without the manuals. A lot of the work is within the capabilities of an average mechanic but can be frustrating because of hidden bolts, etc. that the shop manuals will reveal to you. It will be the best investment you will make with your Lexus, trust me on that.

Sure you can change the pads (front and back) yourself. Very easy!!!!

1. Make sure that the wheels are chocked

2. Make sure that you tape the sockets (including the lug wrench) so that they don't scratch your wheels

3. The Lexus tool kit is excellent. You won't be disappointed using them

4. Make sure that your new pads come with shims (thin metal plates that are attached to the pads on the outside surface facing the road); use the anti-squeal glue to apply them

5. Make sure that you put back the 2 springs

6. Watch the brake reservoir level (if full, you can siphon some off before the job)

Great fun to do it and experience different brake experience afterwards!!!

4. Make sure that your new pads come with shims (thin metal plates that are attached to the pads on the outside surface facing the road); use the anti-squeal glue to apply them

I didn't get new shims or glue with my new pads and the old ones didn't seem to be glued. Am I ok to just place the old shims on the new pads?

This picture shows the old right rear inside brake pad.

97LS400_RRI_Brakepad.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of pad this is, but the area in the red circle crumbled and broke apart. The pad is not contoured like the Toyota pad (newlexusparts.com - $51.19 delivered) that I am replacing it with.

Anyway, the plastic connector at the top of the old pad (arrow) just disintegrated when I tried to remove it.

Could someone tell me what part this is? :unsure:

I finished replacing the pads.

The only problem is the wire connected to the right inside pad. I used the old shims on the new pads and did not use anti-squeak glue. Is this ok? I had to siphon a little of the brake fluid which was overfilled.

The braking is excellent (and quiet).

Has anybody else had the problem with the connector on the right-inside pads breaking? I wonder if the failing pad had anything to do with it.

The disc-brake warning light is on.