Vehicle Speed Control

boddaert

I am looking for response from Lexus owners who have experienced this situation. Usually happens when either the brake is being gently applied or when the brke is bing slowly released and without any application being made to the acclerator pedal. Under this situation the engine races to high RPM's with sudden, uncontrollable acceleration.

On the NHTSA web site there are many Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) reports detailing this problem and the resulting accidents/damage

I would like to hear from other Lexus owners who have experienced the same or similar situations and would like to know what dealer corrections were made to correct the problem and what adjustment/compensation was received from Lexus

I've never experienced that problem. I'm guessing on this but it could be a sensor issue, like the Throttle Pressure Sensor might be bad or malfunctioning.

I would recommend checking it out.

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for response from Lexus owners who have experienced this situation. Usually happens when either the brake is being gently applied or when the brke is bing slowly released and without any application being made to the acclerator pedal. Under this situation the engine races to high RPM's with sudden, uncontrollable acceleration.

On the NHTSA web site there are many Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) reports detailing this problem and the resulting accidents/damage

I would like to hear from other Lexus owners who have experienced the same or similar situations and would like to know what dealer corrections were made to correct the problem and what adjustment/compensation was received from Lexus

I am going to find out what is up with this. What year is your LS You can PM with this information.

You know I have had this problem in my '90 LS400. I always assumed I was clipping the accelerator while I was on the brake, but everyone who has driven my car has had a similar experience. It almost always happens in stop and go traffic, and I even rear-ended a Merc at the Holland tunnel tolls. Is there really an electronic/mechanical defect or is it just a design (i.e. pedal placement) problem?

I don't think the problem was you but rather this situation where the vehicle accelerates on it's own,primarily when the footbrake is either gently applied or released. My father has just had the same situation with his 99 LS400 resulting in rear ending the vehicle in front of him. Because of this, he was charged by the police. Hardly seems fair, especially at the age of 82. Check out the NHTSA web site you will find many similar cases..Lexus do not know what causes this and, consequently, how to fix. I have appealed to the NHTSA and Lexus to take action before someone gets seriously injured. Complain to Lexus and the NHTSA. The next time might result in a serious injury and you could have a hard time convincing the police that it was a mechanical defect and not your neglience.

I have a 98 LS400 with, what may be the same problem. My version is this. When approaching a stop, but before the car comes to a a complete stop, moving my foot from the brake to the accelerator, the car appears to slip in to neutral. That is, pressing the accelerator produces no acceleration. The engine either races or idles (I can't be sure) but the car does not respond. This hesitation or stalling lasts for 1 or 2 seconds, then something "engages" causing the car to leap forward. When I first reported this problem to Nalley Lexus, here in Atlanta, I was told this was a common problem and replacement of a "ECM" might fix it. Although the dealer expressed a hesitancy to replace the $1100.00 part. When I insisted, I was told that if the new ECM didn't fix the problem, there was nothing else the dealer could (or was willing to) do. The replacement ECM improved the hestitation enough that I was able to live with the symptoms.

Now, a good friend of mine has recently bought a 99 LS400 (on my recommendation) from the same dealer. He has the same problem but much worse. When he called Nalley Lexus, he was told to not even bring the car in because there was nothing they could do. Thinks about it. A $60,000 car and the dealer says: "Tough sh*t". Any suggestions?