Lexcelsior007

1998 LS400 Coil Pack test

I want to check the resistance of the coils in my 98 LS. I have taken them out and there are 4 prong connectors on them. I have a multimeter but want to know what resistance and prongs I should be measuring. Thanks in advance to your replies.

if you suspect a bad coil, try running the engine and unplugging the coil connector. Does the engine idle differently? You can also try swapping it with a different coil from another cylinder and see if you get a different misfire code.

Thanks. I thought it would be better to test resistance since I already had them out. I will test using the unplugging method as well.

You can test it only partially just measuring the resistance. The drive circuit is organized by semiconductors and the resistance varies depending on the measuring equipments since the applied voltage is not the same. Some shows 300 ohms and some other 500 ohms.

Lexus_DK's method is a good choice. Another simple and useful method is to use an air gap of a half inch instead of a spark plug. A good arcing energy can travel more than a half inch in ambient atmosphere.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BLOZUP
      WTB stock 04-06 grill. Have VIP grill I can trade:
    • By MikeyMystery
      Hey guys. Just purchased a 1997 LS 400 and it's seen better days. It's leaking coolant pretty badly and I need to know what all the hoses are so I can start replacing the ones that I know are bad. It's also got a Heater Control Valve that's been broken off so I'll probably have to replace that first. Basically I need a manual like a Haynes or a Chiltons but I'm a cheapskate and was hoping someone might know where to get the PDF version of the manual.  If not links to the manual could anyone give me pictures of the pages I need just to show me what exactly the parts are called I need to replace. This might be a stupid question also but it's low on Automatic Transmission Fluid and I wasn't sure if I can add it by pouring it directly into the place the dipstick is held. I can't find an opening to add it besides that and I know sometimes adding transmission fluid isn't as easy as topping off your oil or coolant. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.
    • By Daniel N.
      I recently had to tow my LS430 to the shop.  I picked it up and drove away, and the car started making random chirping noises. The noises are electronic, so it seems to be some kind of computer malfunction.  I haven't been able to find anything like this on the forums, and none of the shops I took it into had ever seen anything like it.  Does any one have any ideas?  I'm attaching a video of the noises.  They are completely random, they change sounds, and it doesn't seem to effect the driving of the car.  It just annoys the hell out of me.  
      Any ideas??
      IMG_1308.MOV
    • By Dray81
      So im just wondering if im seeing this right .....i have been bitten by the apparent lexus goblin ....no response from gas pedal until the very bottom and search google found this cool site and posts from as far back as 2011 i believe and although i may have missed it NO SOLUTION....plenty of remedys and band aids but no real fix and lexus has been having these same problems with their cars from 98 to i think i saw someone post about a 2011 with the problem ...and still no solutions ...really? Or did i just miss them lol
    • By vndiisrey
      I am faily new to the club, but we have owned this car for the past 13 years. 
      i love the car very much, It has just rolled over to 160k with heavy traveling recently. 
      im having an issue with starting the car, especially since we just had some heavy rain the past few days.
      Lately its been a struggle to start, put the key in, set the ignition to on, wait for the beeps to stop, and then turn.
      Only now it will click and not crank over. I pull the key out, repeat steps, and nothing.
      Only a third time try will this actually start up.
      Then on some occasions when it does turn over it will start up very roughly, id say it'll crank for about 2 seconds longer than it actually should.
      Once the crank starts rolling on, it'll catch it self and slowly start. 
      After started, the car runs totally fine, without any hiccups.
      At first i thought it might have been a fuel related issue, that wasn't the case. Fuel pump primes and relay is in good working order.
      Then i moved onto spark, checked that and spark was good. (coil packs were changed out in 2014) I was at a loss for a moment, and decided to check the battery/alternator. (starter was replaced in 2010, had never given me an issue beforehand)
      The alternator was fine, but the battery was "bad" in auto zone terms.
      My question's are, would a bad battery be the cause of the bad/spotty starts? Would the drive through low to mid level high rain have caused something to go bad? 
      Much appreciation in advance.