Stock Head Unit

Hi,

I have no experience with sound systems, but I was wondering if I could use the stock head unit with new subwoofers and amp and still get a decent amount of bass. I am not looking for a huge amount of bass, just better quality of sound. Or, do i have to get a new head unit anyways?

Thanks.

I've done this with my car and I've been extremely happy with the outcome. Only thing that isn't stock about my stereo system are the rear 6x9's (replaced them with 220watt Pioneer 3 ways) and with a little amp and sub action, it's a perfect sounding system IMO. There are a couple ways you could go about hookin it up too. I took the path of least resistance and ran the input for my amplifier in the trunk off of the rear speakers. I'm sure there are more "professional" ways to go about doing it, especially if an aftermarket head unit WERE used, but I didn't see the need to spend the money and lose the stock look when the sound was just as good IMO. Lemme know if you wanna know how to do it yourself, as I don't think that a stereo installation place would probably do it for you b/c they usually replace all the stock system b/c they believe that it'll mess it up otherwise and I suppose they don't wanna be held liable for that, but it's not difficult to do for the do it yourselfer. ;)

well the quality of the subs will depend on where exactly you get your signal from. pre amping is always the best bet but if you tap into somewhere after the amp you will get distortion at lower volume. I said it before and i'll say it again get a Hayne manual for your particular year ES300. it would be even better cuz you can see which set of wires sends a signal to your stock sub woofer and if you can tap off of that (pre amp of course) you should be able to get just the low end frequency that is required for just subs and it should sound better, if not an aftermarket amp should be able to filter out higher frequency's and make it a bit better sounding. good luck on how ever you decide to tackle it.