Wallybally

LS400 1991 Crank sensor stuck

Hi all.

Need a little help.

It died on me last week. The flashy lights blinked a code 12, meaning a no rpm signal.

Suggesting a Crank Sensor replacement.

I am trying to get it out, its on the underside.

Problem is, it came up about 1 mm, then stopped and things broke off.

I am guessing I am not the first one having problems getting a 25 year old sensor out.

Is there a way to get it out by drilling ? Does the hole have a bottom ?

If not, when I drill it out, will stuff go in the hole and cause problems ?

Thanks.

Walter

Can you take a pic of the remaining sensor and post so we can see what you are up against?

Here is the culprit. By the way, it is out. It was so darn stuck in there I had to drill it out. 

The new one is in we're running again.

Thanks.

Wally

IMG_2422.jpg

Lots of corrosion, did you lube it up a bit before installing the new one? How far did you drill into it and what size drill, then what a nice wood or sheet metal screw or what? Also looks like a lot of RTV or something there?????

Well, I have been having trouble, because the location was not really accessible for me. I decided to invest in some tools. firstly, a garagejack that could lift the whole front, so there was room to work.  I have tried putting a screw in there, and then I had nothing to grab on to except for some grip pliers. After that I tried putting a hook in that screwed into the same hole, and getting some piece of rope and a tire iron to get some leverage against the support strut that is right under there. I bent the hook out of shape so it was really stuck in there.

After that I got my trusty  rechargeable drill with a 5 mm. bit that was very new and sharp, and started drilling from the hole the screw made, and try to ease away the material, nice and slow. The dril can go very slow, so that helped. I tried to get the upper edge because that was glued to the hole. when that was done, the whole thing came loose and it dropped out by itself. 

When I checked the hole, some green residue suggests to me that it is probably a cooling leak that dripped down there, and started eating away at stuff.

The drill did not damage the aluminum of the engine block. I also noticed that the hole is in fact big enough for the sensor not to touch the sides of the hole, so maybe I should get rid of the coolant leak to prevent things from being destroyed again.

I put in the bolt that holds the sensor in, put the connector on and fired up the engine. It runs very smooth.

I also noticed that my battery was down a bit from standing still for a while, so I did a test drive to get things charged up again.

Now when I do a warm start, instead of having to make 7 or 8 rotations of the crankshaft before it starts, it needs 1 or 2 rotations., so that's an improvement.

I hope this can help someone in the future.

wally

I would have put a thin film of Vaseline or grease on it and in the hole so it wouldn't corrode again. Good work getting it out of there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By skillydog
      When Park Assist is on in my GS, it is incorrectly sensing something when I put the car in reverse.  Took it in to the dealer, and diagnosis was a failed sensor.  Quote to repair is $500 for parts and service.
      Technician told me they need to pull the whole bumper off to repair this... Seems pretty steep to me... anyone have any similar issue or experience with this?  The car is no longer under warranty....
    • By Sharonben
      My elderly mother bought a brand new Lexus 350 about 10 years ago. It has only 41k miles on it. The airbag sensor is broken and Lexus no longer makes the part. They told us (in writing) that the vehicle is not safe to drive.  They searched for a part and came up dry. They said I could get it fixed by a 3rd party but when I tried,  nobody will touch it because of liability. Lexus is not willing to fix it with a used part. I would expect Lexus to make this right - provide another vehicle or some sort of compensation, but I was told because the car is no longer under warranty they will not. Really? isn't this Lexus we're talking about? I would expect them to stand behind their name. Perhaps their reputation is not reflective of who they truly are as a company. Has anybody else experienced something like this?
    • By IGot2Board
      Hello all, I am a new owner of a 94 Lexus ls400. I bought the car from my brother about a week ago and he says it ran well for him. He recently changed the O2 sensors which cleared a CEL that he had. However he wasn't driving it much and it had been sitting for awhile. When I got it and drove it home it seemed to run fine. But about 2 days later I have the issue where if I step on the accelerator any more than a little less than half it will stutter or just flatline the engine to about 1000 rpm. I've been reading through some of the forums on this site and seen people talk about the problems with the ECU capacitors so that was the first thing I pulled. It had looked like someone had gone through that process before because some of the clips in the glovebox were already missing and the ECU looked brand new inside with no sign of leaking caps etc. Then I moved onto replacing the fuel filter which did look really rusted and old but that also did not help. So now I am moving onto the tps sensor. At my local AutoZone the cheapest one is about $100. But I have seen some online for as cheap as $12 up to about $30. So my main question is there really much of a difference between these. Some of the cheaper ones seem to still get good reviews being put onto other vehicles that they'd fit (Toyotas Volvo's etc.) Also if anyone has any other insight on what causes this issue would be great. The vehicle has 245k miles and runs perfectly otherwise as long as I'm light on the throttle. Sometimes I will get a quick flash of the Trac off light when this happens. Not always so I don't know if it's just coincidental or not. Thanks in advance for any input anyone has.
      Eric
    • By tjdean01
      Hello.  We just picked up this es300 in very good condition.  We took a trip and during that trip, the overdrive stopped working.  We made it home in limp mode, I disconnected the battery, reconnected, and the car has been driving fine for a few days now.  Checked at O'Reilly's and there is no code for the knock sensors, which is apparently often the problem when the car won't shift into 4th gear.  But, the no-overdrive problem seems to occur at times when the coolant sensor, engine sensor, thermostat, etc., isn't performing/reading correctly.  So, I figured I should address the codes I'm getting now and see if the no-overdrive problem returns (yes, someone removed the check engine light so these didn't pop up when we bought it):
      P0125 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control.  After extensive reading, it seems that this code hardly ever occurs by itself and often resolves itself when you resolve another issue. So, I think we should wait on this and address the others first.
      P1130 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1.  B1S1, I believe, is behind the engine near the firewall.  After reading a lot online, I think that if the B2S1 is replaced, this code might go away
      P1153 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction Bank 2 Sensor 1.  This is the sensor right up front.  I'm thinking that changing this might fix the other codes as well.  Or, this is the best place to start, I'm guessing.  
      P1155 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 2 Sensor 1.  Again B2S1, the one in the front of the car that's easy to get to.
      So, I guess I could buzz it over to my dad's house for him to check electrical continuity; or to figure out if the sensor's heater is working properly.  However, I'm thinking simply replacing the sensor might be the best bet.  
      If I do change this sensor (B2S1), what is the Toyota part number?  And, I've heard to not use off-brand parts for knock sensors, but since this is not a knock sensor, can I buy something locally at AutoZone that's readily available and comes with a warranty?  
      I'll probably do as you guys recommend.  Much appreciated!!

• By Dbaqueri
      So I got a flat tire on my 1995 ls400. I'm trying to pull out the spare tire but it's held in place by this black knob. It looks like it can be turned but I've been trying to turn it with tools for an hour but it's barely budged. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post a picture.