Rear windshield light reflections in Lexus 2015, ES 350, a major safety problem at night

James_A

I bought ES 350 2015 last year. Light reflects and spreads on every single defogger line on rear windshield. This problem is exacerbated if you have multiple cars driving on multiple lanes behind your car at night. Almost, the entire rear windshield is covered with these lights and you can see these through the inside mirror. I have complained to Lexus about these over many months. No solution has been offered. They do not consider this to be a defect. However, I believe, this is a major safety issue.

Any suggestion to solve is problem is greatly appreciated.

P1050164.JPG

Hi James and welcome.

I can see what you mean about the scattered light on the rear window. Your right in my opinion, that it this would be unsafe.

Questions:  Does this problem occur during the day?

Does it happen when the sun shines on the window.?

Does it occur when it rains?

Does it happen when the temperature in the cabin of the car is set on high?

Does it happen when it is cloudy?

What has the dealer done to try and fix the problem, or do they say there is nothing wrong, it is supposed to work that way.

Have you talked to Lexus customer service.directly?

To tell the truth, I have never seen this issue before on any Lexus model. It is a true head scratchier. When this happens is the rear window wet or damp to the touch? On both sides. I ask this in the chance that one of the roof drains may be plugged or is letting enough water inside the car to raise the humidity so it condenses. 

My only suggestion would be to go to Lexus Customer Service and start a file that would include the dealer,general manager, Lexus directly and your states attorney generals office -consumer protection division. In my opinion you are in a position of strength since your warranty is still in effect. Document all facts with photos, copies of dealer work orders/tickets and if you can a copy of your states requirements for windshield clarity. I add this because many states regulate the amount of tint you can put on your windows. I see nothing here that would't come under the same category. Be sure to copy your information to all of the party's mentioned here.

Come back and let us know what results you got. 

Paul

Lexus.com  - dealer complaints.

I have seen this problem only on Toyota and Lexus cars that have had their back windows tinted with aftermarket tint film.  The imprinted defroster grids on vehicles made by Toyota are especially thick and almost always cause unpleasant reflections from the defroster grid when aftermarket tint film is applied.  I will never again have a rear window tinted with aftermarket tint film - I have only the side windows tinted.

Do you have tint film on your back window?

If there is no aftermarket tint, be sure to clean the rear window and its defroster grid by following the instructions in your ES350 owners manual.  Do not use commercial window cleaners.

If there is aftermarket tint, use only a recommended cleaning agent to clean the aftermarket tint.  I use "Solar Magic" liquid in a spray bottle and a soft cloth to clean the aftermarket tint on the side windows of our vehicles.  Never use paper towels. 

The windows were tinted by Lexus dealer at the time of purchase. After noticing  and reporting it to the dealership, the tint was removed by the Lexus dealer, it helped a little bit, but the picture that I have posted is after they removed the tint. After many communications  with Lexus , they have agreed to replace the rear windshield. They told me if I replace it and the problem still exist, they will not be responsible for it since the glass it not the Lexus original part even though it is certified and is replace by Lexus dealership. That's why I have nor replace it yet.

I am going to investigate the comments that were provided by Paul. and provide you with the updates.

Thanks,

James

57 minutes ago, James_A said:

The windows were tinted by Lexus dealer at the time of purchase. After noticing  and reporting it to the dealership, the tint was removed by the Lexus dealer, it helped a little bit, but the picture that I have posted is after they removed the tint. After many communications  with Lexus , they have agreed to replace the rear windshield. They told me if I replace it and the problem still exist, they will not be responsible for it since the glass it not the Lexus original part even though it is certified and is replace by Lexus dealership. That's why I have nor replace it yet.

I am going to investigate the comments that were provided by Paul. and provide you with the updates.

Thanks,

James

I'll bet they weren't able to remove the adhesive layer of the tint.  The tint layer is pretty easy to pull off - I've done it myself on side windows - but the adhesive layer is a completely different matter.  It is difficult - maybe impossible - to remove the adhesive layer from a rear window without damaging the defroster grid.  The only way I have been able to remove tint adhesive from side windows is by using a razor blade and plenty of ammonia based window cleaner.   Ammonia based cleaner should never be used on a defroster grid.

If you've got an offer of a free replacement rear window - take it!  Rear windows are apparently fairly easy to remove and replace.  I had the undamaged rear window of my first Lexus (1990LS400) removed during a collision damage repair and it went back in with no problem.

And then just leave the rear window un-tinted regardless of if your ES has a rear window roller shade.  No one will notice the difference.  The only comments we have had about our side windows having aftermarket tint and our back window not having aftermarket tint have been positive. 

Jim makes some sense out of this problem. If you have the dealer put in a new window,, do NOT let them back you into a corner saying in essence, "See, we replaced it and it didn't make any difference. There for your on the hook for the replacement glass." HOLD IT!! The dealer couldn't fix it, the OEM replacement did not solve the problem, so how can you possibly put the outcome back on me??

Lexus parts were the only brand used to try and fix the problem. You didn't buy the parts from anyone else and You didn't do the work. In addition the car is under warranty. The warranty is sold as "bumper to bumper" coverage. Jim's description of the tinted glass makes a lot of sense. I'm a little surprised the dealer didn't come up with it.

Many years ago, I had a Buick Park Avenue. I constantly had problems with the front end alignment. The dealer did not see how that could happen unless I was running it over curbs and potholes. In other words, there was nothing wrong with the car. After several weeks of this game of chicken, I was once more at the dealer trying to find away to get the problem resolved with out going to small claims court. As I stood there with the service manager, I decided I'd had enough. I told the service manager that I had enough. I tossed the keys in his hand and walked out. I called a friend to come and get me. I left the car sitting there. 

I hope your dealer will pull their head out of their posterior and become an advocate for your satisfaction.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I will have to take a trip and will be back on May first. I will ask the dealer to replace the windshield and keep you informed of the results.

James

James,

If the Lexus dealer didn't understand what is going on you would not have been offered a no-cost replacement of the back window.  Say nothing critical of them, accept their offer with grace and allow them to keep their dignity.  They are being very generous.

I have long told people to never have aftermarket tint applied over back window defroster grids but most people "know better" and ignore what I have learned.  I've had only one back window tinted.  When the tint failed after eight or so years, a tint shop recommended replacing the back window instead of having them try to remove the tint and its underlying adhesive.  Lesson learned.

So I'll say it still again:  Never EVER have aftermarket tint applied over back window defroster grids unless you plan to "punt" the vehicle after relatively few years and don't care about the problems a future owner will have.

• 1 month later...

So this must be Jim in your Mr Rogers mode. Your being very calm and gracious these days  (It worries me!!) LOL

I do agree the dealer is being both helpful and taking the attitude as they should. 

I have my side windows tinted but not the rear window.  As an alternative, I have had the rear window power sun shade on all my car's. The shade blocks out hot sun light coming in through the window. It does not effect the use of the heat strips.

I replaced the rear windshield. It has not resolved the issue completely. The lights do not scatter as much as before. However, you can still see the light hitting the defogger wires across the rear windshield.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions

James