Kenetic System

Bob Adler

Hello All.

I'm expecting delivery of my new GX470 this week and am very excited. It's actually the 2nd GX I've owned -- long story.

This new one has the kenetic system and the dealer stated that you can't put on a trailer hitch or tow anything EVER with the kenetic system.

Anyone know why? Dealer just said it couldn't be done.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

I have just heard from someone in the know that the tow hitch issue was packaging related and a factory hitch will be available around April 04 that will fit kdss equiped vehicles. Definitely no problem towing with the kinetic system, I have talked to a friend who was present during a back to back off road test of a Kinetic equipped suv vs standard (not Lexus vehicles though) apparently the Kinetic car had to tow the standard vehicle out of the dirt after it got terminally stuck. I want one!

• 4 weeks later...

I just took delivery of my 04 GX470 yesterday. It is a build 9700 G and has the KDSS AND Hitch Bracket, Tow Hitch and Ball Mount. The manual still says something about the KDSS vehicles not being designed for a towing hitch receiver but mine sure as heck has one. It is a tubular type and I read in a post someplace that the tubular type is a Lexus hitch and is port installed. I was told my GX was at the port last week but the dealership didn't get it until a few days ago... maybe the hitch installation explains the delay?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I spoke with my Dealer and he checked with his regional rep. They said this option does not exist and may cause damage to the KDSS. Do you have a copy of the sticker that you can post or email so I can show my dealer! I really think they do not know what they are talking about!!

Thanks in advance!!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2004 GX470 with KDSS and a tow hitch. I bought the GX to tow a trailer. The Dealer told me that it would be no problem. After recieving the GX I went home and read the owners manual which said that you could not tow with KDSS. I call first thing the next morning and he called Lexus. The 2003 model did not have a hitch designed for it. The 2004 does. I recieved a letter from Lexus stating that my GX can be used for towing and they plan on changing the manual at next printing.

TexGX