Extended Warranty And Prepaid Maintenance Package On 2013 Rx 350

lexus0822

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a CPO 2013 RX-350 with 55K miles on it.

Since it is a CPO, it already comes with a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty.

The dealer is offering me a Extended warranty, 5 years/100,000 miles for 2900. This will be good to me only for 2 years as the CPO warranty will take care of things for the first 3 years. This doesn't sound right. Thoughts?

Are there any other options for longer coverage? Can I buy the Lexus warranty anywhere else?

The offer for the maintenance package is 2175 and that is good for 5 years or 40,000 miles. Worth it?

The extended warranty gives you extra peace of mind. I bought one for my CPO 2010 RX 450h (with 15K on the odometer at the time of sale) mainly because of the car's electronics. I would not buy the maintenance package. Just put money aside for maintenance on a regular basis, if you can. These are very reliable cars. I haven't had to do anything with mine since I bought it a couple of years ago, except for a couple of oil changes and one semi-major service to date. And the first oil change at 20K was free. But we haven't put a lot of miles on this car so far -- about 20K since Nov. 2013.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the feedback.

How many more years of coverage did you get apart from the basic warranty of 48 months/50,000 miles?

As far as maintenance is concerned, does anybody know if the following link accurately capture the cost associated with each maintenance?

http://www.lexusoflehighvalley.com/LexusOfLehighValley-MaintenancePricing?referrer=https://www.google.com/

I retired from an insurance company that sold extended service warranties through franchised auto dealers. Employees could buy these warranties at "cost" - a fraction of retail price - but very few did. I don't have the statistics but I can tell you that the percentage of people who recover the cost of an extended vehicle service warranty is extraordinarily low.

Regarding the pre-paid maintenance ... nothing says that you have to have maintenance done by a Lexus dealer. I drove Lexus vehicles for 24 years and used Lexus dealer service departments only for warranty repairs or when the independent repair shops I normally used were busy or did not have appropriate tools like those needed for alignments. Any shop that repairs and services a Toyota Highlander can do the same for an RX350. It should not cost any more to maintain an RX350 than it does for a Highlander.

I was particularly fortunate that there have been two independent repair shops here owned by former Lexus dealer employees and staffed by former Lexus dealer mechanics. Their waiting rooms were not as plush as the one at the Lexus dealer but prices and quality of service were better. You might try asking other Lexus owners where they have their vehicles serviced.

Also consider that the value of pre-paying for an extended warranty or maintenance can be derailed if a vehicle is damaged in a collision to the extent that it is a total loss for insurance purposes or if you decide to sell the vehicle prematurely.

• Like 1

Ditto Jim...

Lexus has been chosen by Consumer Reports 5 years in a row for being the most reliable brand. In addition, JD Power's has also named Lexus as best in customer satisfaction.

The extended warranties are VERY profitable to the dealer. In particular, they allow the sales person to earn extra commission. I've always felt that Lexus makes a huge mistake in peddling this product. As you shop the staff is quick to point out the excellent reliability of the car, but then they put on their actuary clothes and tell you, "if it were me, just to feel safe, I'd buy extra insurance on that thing."

If the buyer doesn't pick up on the schizoid message then they'll likely lay out the cash instead of putting it somewhere it can do more good. (How about the Caribbean?).

Regarding your question about service . It is impossible to come to any kind of an estimate. First, where is the dealer located? If it's in New York City your cost will be much higher than Des Moines, Iowa. Factor hourly pay for technician. The Tech in New York earns a much higher hourly wage than here in Iowa. Where do parts come from? Is there a huge warehouse in every burrow. Again shipping cost to those dealers will be higher. If cost is a very important concern for you I would remember your CPO warranty, and the Lexus reputation for quality. However, I keep saying this but some people still act surprised. This is an expensive luxury product. Expensive cars can be expensive to repair.

Enjoy your new RX. We've had ours for right at 3 years. We love it!

Paul

The extended warranty gives you extra peace of mind. I bought one for my CPO 2010 RX 450h (with 15K on the odometer at the time of sale) mainly because of the car's electronics. I would not buy the maintenance package. Just put money aside for maintenance on a regular basis, if you can. These are very reliable cars. I haven't had to do anything with mine since I bought it a couple of years ago, except for a couple of oil changes and one semi-major service to date. And the first oil change at 20K was free. But we haven't put a lot of miles on this car so far -- about 20K since Nov. 2013.

Your point about coverage for electronics is an interesting one. I have not seen nor read any statistics on digital vs. standard parts such as brakes, fuel injection, alternator, etc. A few years ago my wife had a Volvo S80. I took it in to the dealer plus the other maker remote starter I had purchased. It took them 3 days to get the job done. The Volvo had 36 ECUs in it. Trying to marry the two systems turned out to be a nightmare.

The LS uses fiber optic cable for certain reasons. The new models here and coming for 2016 will have more digital components than ever before. I've been impressed with the cruise and vehicle distance device. But, my guess is that there would be a nifty amount of software developed to make that work. Expensive part??

Paul

Jim,

I am being told that i can't service the lexus anywhere but at a Lexus dealership for the warranty to be effective.

So may be the following can be done after the warranty has expired but not before that?

//

Regarding the pre-paid maintenance ... nothing says that you have to have maintenance done by a Lexus dealer. I drove Lexus vehicles for 24 years and used Lexus dealer service departments only for warranty repairs or when the independent repair shops I normally used were busy or did not have appropriate tools like those needed for alignments. Any shop that repairs and services a Toyota Highlander can do the same for an RX350. It should not cost any more to maintain an RX350 than it does for a Highlander.

//

Jim,

I am being told that i can't service the lexus anywhere but at a Lexus dealership for the warranty to be effective.

So may be the following can be done after the warranty has expired but not before that?

If you want to see a Lexus dealer employee do some "dancing", ask that the requirement to use only the Lexus dealership service department be put in writing on the Lexus dealer's letterhead and signed by the general manager of the dealership.

Quoting page 25 of the 2013 RX Warranty and Services Guide which you can view online at http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/omms/L-MMS-13RX350/pdf/MY13_ Lexus RX 350_WSG_lr.pdf

"When maintenance and repairs are

paid for by you, these services may

be performed by you or by any automotive

service provider you choose.

Lexus will not deny a warranty claim

solely because you used a service

provider other than a Lexus dealership

for maintenance and repairs.

However, any failure or noncompliance

caused by improper maintenance

or repairs is not covered by

this warranty."

I have to assume that the CPO warranty has similar verbiage but I suggest that you read it.

Car manufacturers and dealers would love to require use of dealer facilities for maintenance and repairs but gave up on that idea many years ago after losing lawsuits.

There was a lawsuit not that many years ago when one or more vehicle manufacturers refused to provide diagnostic information to independent repair shops. Vehicle manufacturers lost that one too.

I've sometimes found it difficult to sit in the local Lexus dealer's waiting room watching service writers attempt to sell services that are not in the maintenance schedule and services that are not yet needed. I have to remind myself that services writers often have sales quotas to meet and are just trying to make a living. Even when they don't have quotas, their performance is measured largely by the amount of revenue generated.

Also recognize that there is no such thing as a "free" loaner car while a vehicle is serviced. One way or another, a visit for service will generate enough revenue to cover the cost of the loaner.