Sammamish GX 470

Brake Replacement Parts.... Quality?

My 2003 GX 470 now has 100K miles on it and it's time to do the brakes. I looked online and have found an abundance of non OEM parts on Ebay. Has anyone had any experience with non OEM brake parts? Do they ware fast? Operate correctly? Any good stories?

Take a look at all the price ranges and varieties... almost overwelming.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=2003+Lexus+GX470+brake+rotars&_osacat=6030&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2003+Lexus+GX470+brake+rotors.TRS0&_nkw=2003+Lexus+GX470+brake+rotors&_sacat=6030

Brake rotors usually last far beyond 100,000 miles with rear rotors and brake pads usually lasting 50% longer than front rotors and pads. The front brake rotors on my 2000 LS400 were within one millimeter of the original factory thickness when I sold it at 180,000 miles. I've actually never replaced brake rotors in over 40 years of owning vehicles with disc brakes although a Mercedes I drove from new to 210,000 miles was getting close to needing new front rotors.

I've never used anything except OEM Lexus brake pads on our Lexus vehicles. The cost is reasonable and the quality high. If I was going to use aftermarket brake parts, the only brand I would use is Bremco which also supplies brake parts that are installed at the factory on some new Lexus vehicles.

Thanks for the heads up Jim. Actually the reason for the short life is I own a 5700 lb boat.... and I have the habit of launching it probably 50 times a year..... after I drive it down a one mile 9% grade. It has trailer brakes, but you never quite know if they are tuned correct.... apparently they are not after reading your comments.

You are definitely a special case. I can't imagine launching and recovering a 5,700 lb. boat on a regular basis. The only boat I've owned was only 2,500 pounds and it was a PITA to launch and recover. I was shocked when a coworker told me that his "new" (slightly used) 28' boat weighs 10,000 pounds but it is permanently parked in a slip with a lift. My boat trailer had surge brakes which were just about useless. I hope you have electric brakes on your trailer.

Have you measured your rotor thickness? I don't have the specs for a GX but I'm pretty sure that the original thickness on my 2000 LS400 was 11 mm. They were still within a fraction of a millimeter of the original thickness at 180,000 mile even though they had been resurfaced twice.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By D Eric
      Curious how many Lexus owners have had a brake actuator failure.  We have a 2013 RX350; we bought a new RX450, and parked the 350 over the holidays planning to sell.  When I started it, numerous warning lights came on: the "Check AWD System" light, the engine light, and the VSC and Traction Control System lights. Upon taking the vehicle to our dealer, were we told that the brake actuator assembly needed to be replaced.  The cost to do so was $3,855.12.  I found there was a NHTSA recall on 2/12/2014 for this issue, requiring a software upgrade to avoid the failure of the brake actuator.  The dealer advises that software was updated in 2015 - which obviously didn't work because the brake actuator still failed.  Lexus is refusing to cover this, even though the predicted failure occurred anyway.  If anyone else has experienced this, please let me know.  I am preparing litigation on this issue.
    • By MrHockey
      I drive down a hill on a regular basis, a highway off ramp, with a stop sign at the bottom.  As I brake I can see the power created by monitoring the kilowatt gauge, the needle dives into the blue showing the results of regenerative braking.  After about 4 car lengths the needle returns to zero even though I continue braking for many more car lengths. I can feel the reduction in braking when regenerative braking disengages and compensate by pressing on the brakes a little harder.  Meantime I am monitoring the traction battery graphics, the one that show how fully charged the battery is, and it show the battery is 3 or 4 bars below full.  So if the traction battery is not full why is the Regen braking disenging so quickly?  If I release the brakes for an instant a Mb d then apply them I can get the kilowatt Gage to dive into the blue again, and I can repeat this several times but with each cycle the amount the needle dives is less as is the duration.  The car is not throwing any codes.  As for fuel mileage, it's close to what it should be but I think it is slighty low, but it is hard to say for sure.  My sense is it is lower by approximately 1mpg.  If the regenerative braking would stay engaged for the duration of the hill this would go a long way toward topping up the traction battery.  The only thing I can think of is the graphics are lagging behind the actually state of the battery.  And I should mention I cannot remember the last time I saw the traction battery full.
    • By paulr
      Hi
      Need some technical help on the hydraulic booster.  Getting error codes C0226, C0236 and C0246.  Anyone ecounter these before?
      My 2003 GS430 with 220k on it!!! developed a spongy brake pedal very similar to what you feel when your master cylinder goes out.  I had read up on it and have the service manuals but decided to take it in case there were other things I should fix while I'm at it.  I used my OBDII and didn't get any codes which is weird as the brakes were definitely a problem and a bit scary as you weren't sure if you were going to stop.  
      The repair shop discovered the codes, not sure why my OBDII wasn't picking them up but it reads as if there are shorts / opens in the electrical.  The compressor was making noise when I had the hood open indicating that it was trying to pressurize the system but it would shut off and then start running again repeat.  So I was pretty sure this was the master cylinder seals were allowing fluid to pass through.
      I can get the master cylinder from lexus in GA for $60 with 4day shipping, my lexus dealer can get it in a day for $90.  BTW, the lexus dealer said the master cylinders are on the discontinued list.  But the whole system can run anywhere from 1k to 2k so its pricy and not sure if I need the whole thing, especially with 220k on the clock (oil leaks and a few minor things to replace but still pretty good shape.
      I'm waiting on the shop to get back to me as they wanted a couple of days to troubleshoot the problem and they know I don't want to spend 1k on a part.  I can use the money on the suspension and oil leak ;-))   So hoping that someone can provide some insight on this.  From what I read they last the life of the car and I don't think mine is on its last legs....
      TIA
      Paul paolor@earthlink.net direct
    • By RC
      Our 2016 NX 200t has only 2600 miles.  Yesterday, after my wife slowed down to enter our driveway a metallic, screeching noise started.  We called to have it towed.  When backing onto the truck bed the noise was very loud. Today the service department called and said (naturally!) they cannot detect a noise.   Anybody have this issue?  Any mechanics want to suggest a solution?

• By Jody Hood
      BRAKES WENT TO FLOOR CAUSING 3 CAR ACCIDENT. 2  CARS TOTALLED.  NEED TO CLEAR MY RECORD.  HAD A POSTCARD FROM LEXUS TO JOIN LAW SUIT. DID NOT JOIN SUIT BUT NOW BRAKES WENT OUT AFTER THE FACT.  HOW DO I PROOVE I PUT MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL.  BRAKES ARE NOW WORKING.  SOMETHING CAUSED BRAKES TO GO OUT.     AM ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE  I PUT MY FOOT ON BRAKE PEDAL.