07 Dual Temp Control Blows Warmer On Passenger Side When In Ac Mode

jeharter

The dual temp control blows warmer on driver side when in AC mode. Is their a thermostat or something like it that regulates cabin temps. Just started doing this. Car has 155,000 miles.

Appreciate any thoughts

Hi Jim,

There are air direction vanes within the housing that controls the amount of cold and hot air as called for by the thermostat you set. It could be that one of the servos that control the opening and closing of the vanes is bad. I'm not betting the farm on this but it's one thing to consider.

Paul

• Like 1

jeharter,

I agree with Paul's assesment. You have a blend door or its actuator motor that is broken or stalled in one position, read "very expensive to fix, if you go to a Lexus dealership".

The darn thing is hidden way up in behind the dash and is awkward as he** to get at, which equals time = labour dollars. As a DIY fix it requires the pages from the FSM (factory service manual) for the correct diagnostics and the step by step to get at the motor/blend door or its motor.

In my case I have 6 vehicles I can drive while the Lexus is tied up, am retired, have the tools, and have been a backyard mechanic for 45 years, so I'd tackle it in a heart beat. Not everyone is so lucky.

If you have a good independent mechanic or are a fairly competent mechanic yourself, go for it. Parts would be best found in a junkyard, if you have the time. Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all. Before tackling the job I threw a set of gauges on the air conditioner and found the AC to be low on gas. Charged the system and brought it back to normal.

This $12 fix saved me a days labor or $1,700 in repairs at the dealer.

Yes but the gas went somewhere. You might throw some indicator dye in and check for a small leak. Of course R-134a is cheaper than leak repairs and for small ones, I just recharge every few years. My friends 1993 Camry wagon wasn't blowing cold and he was quoted a huge amount to fix. I hooked up the old well worn R-12 gauges and my 30lb. tank and charged it up 3 years ago. Still ice cold and the cost? Nothing. All hope is not lost.

• 2 weeks later...

You were right. Before tackling the job I threw a set of gauges on the air conditioner and found the AC to be low on gas. Charged the system and brought it back to normal.

This $12 fix saved me a days labor or $1,700 in repairs at the dealer.