Your Opinion On Repair Costs

pachanga

1994 Lexus LS400 - 151K miles This past week - and here in the middle of SC - the weather has been hot - 100 degrees all weekend and this week so far. Which is the reason I chose to have the timing belt changed by a local shop verses me doing it. I do not have a shop with AC to do the work in comfort. So - and honestly I thought the repair bill was actually reasonable.. I was pleased with the work and the cost. So here is the list of work done and the cost.

Timing belt changed. Belt plus misc parts - cam followers

New set of Spark Plugs

New Spark Plug Wires -

New Water Pump -

New idler and tensioner pulleys

New serpentine belt

gaskets

Misc shop supplies..

labor

Cost = $1162.00

What say ye? Should have I performed the work myself and sweated like a stuck pig on a split?

Or.. ??

Unless its your thing, I would say no, it is better to have it done. And when a shop does it you have some sort of warranty. If you do it yourself and mess something up, its on you. Not so much on the gen 1's but I'm sure there are a lot of wantabe mechanics that have ruined their engines thinking they were going to save some big bucks. The only time it wouldn't pay to have it done is if the value of the car is low due to high miles and cosmetic condition and the state of the other mechanicals on it. Then its best to use that money for the extra parts that are needed. Then there are people that are real picky on how their car is worked on. Some so called professional mechanics shouldn't be working on other peoples cars, because of things they mess up by prying here hammering there etc etc. I know of cars messed up by mechanics, and sometimes when they do, it becomes a lying game with them.

Air hammering with a chisel to loosen a nut, that was already loose and going through the unibody just isn't nice, I have seen it though.

If you have the know-how I would say do it yourself and use the extra $700 for something else. I would of flushed the anti-freeze while they were in there if it had not been done already.

What ever makes you satisfied and meets your needs is the way to go.

If your really concerned about the deal, get an estimate and post that before you make your choice.

Paul

Freddie, I think you did well on the price. Sometimes, I wish I could do likewise but for some strange reason, I just cannot take my car to the shop for this kind of work. And its not just about saving money(though that is a great incentive)...its also about knowing I did it myself, knowing it was done right (well, as right as I know how), about learning new things, and about tackling 'mountains' (thats what it sometimes looks like).

Well Freddie, I'd sure pay them to do the job. Can't speak for Carolina but VB has been around 100 for the last couple days. Got back from a quick run to Baltimore and when I got out of the car, wham. Working on cars in this heat is terrible. Been working on a friends 1/4 million mile Corolla and dripping like a faucet. Of course it all really comes down to the funds. Sounds like a reasonable price for a rather difficult job.