Clutch Integrity?

jamrogie

Last night the clutch on my '02 IS "died" for lack of a better term. I had it towed to my nearest dealership and all they could come up with was: it's worn out. They couldn't find anything mechanically or otherwise that would have caused it to wear inappropriately.

Because of that, the replacement clutch will not be covered by Lexus and they are also going to replace the fly wheel for a grand total of $2400 out of my pocket.

Doesn't this seem just a little premature? I did the 30k maintenace just 2 weeks ago. I do drive the car fast, but I'm not over-the-top by any means. I've driven manual transmision cars for almost 10 years now (I'm only 25, so pretty much my entire driving career has been on manuals). The car I had before the IS was a '96 Firebird and with the same driving style, that clutch lasted me to 107k miles.

I'm very disheartened with Lexus right now and am wondering if I just got a bum clutch from the beginning, or will I be tacking on another $2 grand to my 60k maintenance to replace this new clutch?

Up until this point I couldn't have been more happy with the car and Lexus in general (this is my first Lexus) but like I said, I'm very disheartened right now.

Andy

The IS300 clutch doesn't hold up well to boost or really hard driving. However, at that mileage they should still replae it under waranty as long as you don't have some mods that could have caused clutch failure. You need to go at the dealer again or talk to Lexus customer service.

Andy, have a sit down with the service manager. While in his office, ask to use his phone, explain to him/her that you are calling the 1-800-25-LEXUS number and press the button for customer service.

If he says yes, conference the service manager and the 1-800 customer rep in so all can be heard.

If he says no, get his name and leave. Call from the 800 number from home and tell them that the dealership would not allow you to call from there. Explain to the rep what the situation is and what the dealer quoted you. If the car is still under the original warranty, they will probably cover it.

Press the issue and get corporate involved......you may be surprised at the result.

steviej

And the rest of the story......

They stuck me with the bill. Called corporate, did all that, but in the end they blame my "aggressive driving" end of story.

I still maintain that I drove my Firebird just as aggressively and that clutch lasted over 100k miles, so I don't know what's up. About the only thing I do know is that Lexus got their $2400 out of me today, but lost out on probably 50 years of potential repeat business. Good trade-off for them? I think not, but it wasn't my call.

Andy

• 1 month later...