98 Lexus Ls400 Won't Engage Drive When Cold.

arrocha87

Just purchased a 98 Lexus LS400. 161k miles. When I test drove it was warm and drove like a dream. Yesterday morning and today it was sub freezing and the transmission would not engage in drive until It was warmed up. Reverse works great while cold tho. After engine and I'm assuming transmission are warmed up, it drives great and does not give any issue all day. No CeL. I've heard of cars having cold protection for tranny but this seems extreme. Barely moves at all if any. I read through some old posts but didn't find an actual solution or what the issue is.

You'll want to start with the basics--did you check the fluid level? Follow the procedure in the owner's manual to determine fluid level (transmission warm versus cool).

I had a similar issue with my '94 a few weeks ago when I put the car into service after it had sat a long time (probably a couple years before I bought it as well as the first year I owned it). There was a considerable delay after I put it into gear when it was very cold outside. The color of the fluid on the dipstick was fine, but it was down a full quart. Topped it off properly and all has been well since.

Paul

'93 LS400 and '94 LS400

Welcome, Hananiel. :cheers:

Yep, I agree with the low fluid level. I have had this exact symptom many times. It can be a challenge to check the level, so you could just add 1/2 qt and see it the performance improves. If not, do not add any more. If it does, add another 1/2 qt. but do not overfill if no difference. By all means, check the stick but be aware that it can sometimes be difficult to decipher.

Since the car is new to you, you might even consider draining the 2 qts (measure what comes out) that pulling the pan bolt gives and put 2 1/2 qts back in. That gradually gives you a fluid change.

Letting the car warm up and sit in my garage which is level. The fluid on dip stick goes to the H of the hot stamp of the stick. Leaving about 1/4" to the full line of the hot reading. How much would that be? Doesn't seem like much.

It probably is not that much as you suspect. However, just being a little low can cause the symptoms you describe. I would go ahead and add just 1/2 qt. and see what happens. If it helps, you are on the right track. If not, there may be larger issues looming. It will not hurt to add.

I would use only Toyota Type IV red transmission fluid. However, just having purchased the car, you do not know what might be in there. Hopefully it is the Toyota fluid.

Seems to be leaking from pan seal and the person I bought it from said it got the transmission and differential fluid changed before sale. Maybe they didn't put gasket correctly? Fluid looks clear red and healthy.

I purchased Castrol Transmax with the blue label for Honda Toyota nissan. Is that acceptable to use? Or did you guys mean the specific Toyota fluid from dealer only?

Well, there you go. A leak will cause a lower level and your problems. Someone probably did pull the pan and did not get it back on correctly. They can be "tricky" to seal if you are not familiar with the possible issues.

Personally, I would not even consider putting in anything but Toyota T IV but the Castrol might work. The Toyota fluid only $5-8 a qt. and I would just pick up one and take the Castrol back. Your call.

As far as the leak, it may be as simple as torquing the pan bolts properly. Or you may need a new gasket. Or the pan may have been bent/warped when removed and in need of straightening. Or you may need a little FIPG (RTV sealer) in addition to the gasket. Maybe all of the above...depending.

Thanks for the help there. I thought this would be ok because it's $8.99 a quart. Closest dealer to me is an hour away in Nashville. I might have to take a trip up there during a weekday to pick some up.

You are an hour away from a Toyota dealer? Thought there would be one closer.

If you go and you can swing the cost, I always buy a case of 12 for around $5 each. They will cut you a deal if you buy a whole case...or at least ask for a deal.

Yea I'm military at ft Campbell ky and closest is Lexus of Nashville. I'll google to see if there's a Toyota dealer closer. I also need a master key. Is truly the only way to get a reflash for $400? All I have is the valet.

For ATF, I've successfully used Valvoline's import synthetic stuff (bought at the nearest O'Reilly's to me), which lists T-IV compatibility. No issues in either of my LSes. Mobil 3309 ATF is also directly compatible.

Paul

Looks like there is a Toyota dealer in Hopkinsville, 17 miles from FC. Also one in Clarksville, Tn, 14 miles away.

You do not need a Lexus dealer as it is all Toyota fluid. Call the parts dept first to make sure the fluid is in stock and check price. Several complaints about the Clarksville dealer but you just need some tranny fluid. How bad could they mess that up? :whistles:

Toyota of Clarksville

1650 Wilma Rudolph Blvd,

Clarksville, TN 37040

Toyota of Hopkinsville

4395 Fort Campbell Blvd, Hopkinsville, KY 42240

• 1 year later...