Replacement Power Radio Antenna

DaveAlex_98

I have a 1991 LS 400 with 160,000 or so. The power radio antenna recently failed and I have been looking for a good source for a replacement part. Has anyone done this repair recently? I would appreciate any pointers or suggestions? Can anyone recommend a good source? Dave

A specific source I could not say, but this is a very popular issue on this site so do a search for antenna and you are sure to find something that can be of some help to you.

I have to ask... are your sure the antenna itself is dead or is it possible that something else might be the culprit? I ask this because this is one very expensive part -- simple, but expensive especially if you get it from the dealer. They want $360 here where I live.:-(

By coincidence, I just ordered a replacement antenna from EBay.

I only needed the antenna mast, not the motor assembly, so it's only 20 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping. It looks like there are a bunch of complete assemblys there, too. Certainly worth checking out.

The dealer on EBay was recommended by another LOC member somewhere on this site. (laynlow1)

I've had good and bad luck with E Bay-their repair manual on CD is useless. But I did buy a cabin filter there, and it fit perfectly. I figure that for 25 bucks, the antenna's worth the chance-compared to the hosing you get from the dealer..even if you DIY, the parts departments prices are horrendous.

Ah, success. I actually bought something from EBay that wasn't fake or a mistake. The $20 antenna with cord installed easily in five minutes. I found that my old antenna, replaced previously by Fletcher Jones on 03/21/03 !! - was only opening up 4 sections, not 6. My AM reception is much better now. Hey, Tansupplyman, I noticed that the antenna does not move up or down between AM and FM. No big deal.

It's important to note that Fletcher Jones Las Vegas' repair of the antenna was a failure, as well as a previously posted note about the fact that they charged the poor fellow for a cabin filter replacement that did not exist. Also note that they did a brake job at 88,000 miles, and another 92,600. I did another at 100,600. Either the previous owner was a lead foot-or Fletcher Jones makes their money off repeat and non-existent repairs? Amazing world.

Here is the E Mail of the guy who supplied my antenna mast -not the whole motor, just the antenna. It's important to note that the LS400 must have a self-adjusting motor assembly. I think he's had trouble with people who order antennas with non-adjusting assemblies.

glgdirect@comcast.net. He said he can supply all kinds of other electronic stuff, too.

20 bucks plus 5 bucks shipping-he sent it on a Friday-I got it on Tuesday. Works like a charm-I'm an AM radio fool, and quite satisfied :D ..

Thanks for your help, too, TanSupplyGuy.

youngdoog