Cruise Control

Natsume

I heard that it is best for the car to run at steady speed. On the intersate highway, I just started to you the cruise control and when I accelerate by using the switch on the steering wheel, the car kind of jumps back and same for deacceleration. Is this normal or does this have to do with cruise control or engine mounts.

On a state hwy, where the speed limit is about 45-55mph and the roads are curvy but not too much traffic is present to stop or make you slow down. Is it a good idea to use the cruise control on there.

The speed is steady by using the cruise control, but going up or coming down hills on the interstate the engine has to slow down or power up. But can this be better for the car? Because I was thinking that if I have the control of engine & the speed and let the car speed up down hills and slow going up, I engine will be working at a steady rate. Kind of confusing but ask questions if I'm not clear on something.

For gas mileage it is best to use cruise. As well as for keeping the tranny from shifting all the time.

I have been in cars where people have no idea how to drive and they can;t seem to moderate the gas pedal and keep speeding up and slowing down all the time .It gets rather annoying.

When you set your cruise control, you are basically telling the system to maintain a certain/specific speed.

That is all it does -- for now. At this moment, the manufacturers are exploring the addition of other functions in crusie control such as lane shift detector, eye blink sensor to tell if you are too sleepy to drive and distance sensor that senses if you get too close to a vehicle, at which time it would lift off the gas and or alert you; but those are for a different thread. ;-)

Now, if you have set your cruise control at 55 MPH or whatever, the cruise control system will maintain that speed up an hill by giving more gas to the engine and if you are going down a grade, it gives it less gas -- basically pressing and de-pressing the accelerator where needed.

Nothing specific about when to use it or when noy to use it really. In fact, if it is like most cc, it will not function below a specific speed -- maybe 35 or less MPH.

If you have a straight/curvy drive without stop and go traffic, you can use it without any issues in such an environment. It becomes more hassle than it is worth if the drive is constantly being interrupted however.

hope that helps a bit

Hi i agree with LinuxFan.Theres no fuel/trip computer on my mk1 400.

On the other car i have,it has a fuel/trip computer and displays a instant realtime of how much fuel it is using.No matter how much ive tryed,the computer which works the cruise,drives the car using less fuel than i can,thats on a flat bit of road with no other traffic in front.

there is a subthrottle for the criuse control and its independed from your accelerator throttle. you tell your CC ECU at what speed you want to travel and it will adjust your engine RPM depending if you go uphill or on the even surface, it will do engine braking if you go downhill. i was in the MB museum and plant 2 month ago and i saw their new innovations for the cc system. yes those features linuxfan was talking about might be availble in the near future but it will take at least another 2-3 years of testing b4 they will implement it in the stock car. right now there a lot of bugs in the system and its not even ready for the major system testing.