Water Getting Into Bottom Of Trunk

schujd3

Hey guys I'm back!!!! I sold my 94 lexus ls400 and bought a jaguar xk8 what a mistake!!! Dollared me to death! No leaks at the top getting in somewhere from the back. Checked under the tire and there was quite a bit of water. The water seems to be getting in from the back side of the car has anyone else experienced this problem on this model it is a 99 LS 400? TIA

Joel

OK where is it located? It's not the weather stripping around the top it's getting in from the bottom and I checked that rubber plug and it seemed fine. I pulled it and let the standing water drain. Where are the trunk gaskets located? Pics would be helpful thanks for the fast replies!!!

Even though it may seem that the water is coming in from some other place, it is almost always the trunk gasket. There are lots of online Lexus parts sellers including Sewell where you can get a discount if you register with your forum member name. One problem with purchasing this kind of part for an older vehicle is that it could have been sitting on a shelf for 10 to 20 years. I had that happen with a new sun visor for the gen 1 LS400 I used to have. The vinyl on new visor, supplied by Lexus, was deteriorated and cracked after only a year or so.

Some people have found gasket material and purchased it by the foot or meter but I don't have any supplier information.

Thanks for the replies. Need to get that done after the timing belt starter etc. I plan on adding a small system nothing like my old 94. Just 2 12w3 jl audio subs Rockford fosgate 15001bd and a kenwood touch screen dvd navigation with blue tooth and mic just like I had in my old car. My 94 had 4 12s and at 140db I'm only 23 and have bad hearing loss. Can also maintain the stock amp in the car with the new head unit as well which I was a fan of. I will probably add some infinity kappas in the doors and power acoustic tweeters. I just like a great sound. Don't get me wrong the stock sounds awesome I was very impressed with the stock setup but I have this stuff lying around because it used to be in my jag so I'm gonna get it done down the road. As my grandfather always said one thing at a time son. Thanks for the replied and the tip about the new gaskets. Love this forum and glad to be back!

Joel,

If you are skeptical as to where (or how) the water is getting into the trunk, take a garden hose and run water over the top of your trunk lid...preferably when closed ;-)

Then check for puddles inside. In this way, you should also be able to see not only how well it seals but also if it is draining properly. Once you have the culprit nailed down, you replace those parts or unclog a drain.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan landar! Was going to do that yesterday when I was washing her but after all the tree work I did and tree sap removing I was exhausted. 23 and I feel old but I cut down pretty much a whole giant rain tree!

Thanks for the reply I'll check it out! My car is getting the starter timing belt and water pump done along with valve Cover gaskets new spark plugs and all that good stuff. Will check it one more time after its out. Strange thing is is that after I let the water drain out and pushed the drain plug firmly in I haven't seen any water getting in there... Weird

• 2 weeks later...

I posted above that I had a trunk leak in a 90, it is the seal or gasket. Some how the water is getting into the back side in the pinch weld groove and travelling down to the lower area in the rear and leaking in. Its not leaking over the top of the seal.

Do the new seals come with some sort of sealer in them?